Friday, August 17, 2012

You can't make this stuff up folks, how many times do I have to say it?

Layton with a Texas turtle.
That whistling noise you hear is me passing myself over these last very busy days. But, we made it to Friday and I bring you greetings here on this August 17, 2012. As you already know, my alter ego is the seasonal role play that I perform as Santa. I have some special fans out there. One in particular is named Layton. He is the youngest of three boys born to our late step sister's son and his wife. Our nephew's wife is very much connected to our late brother in law's family on his mom's side of the family. Wow! Family connections folks, they are amazing! They live over in Louisiana, out in the country, the deep woods, so to speak. And, these boys well represent their territory. Layton is a true believer when it comes to Santa and I am the object of his affection. Recently his dad had a conference here in our area and they stayed at the big hotel and conference center in the Woodlands. These boys are not shy. They went scouting one day and ended up taking a dip in one of the ponds on the property. It wasn't provided for that purpose but they thought it was there for the taking. Their mom put photos up on Facebook of them enjoying the golf course pond. I saw them at the viewing for our brother in law. I bent down and hugged little Layton and I mentioned to him that I had seen him cavorting in that pond. His mom told me the next day that when she was bathing Layton the night before, he told her that he knew Santa could see him when he was sleeping, but he had no idea that he could also see him when he was in the pond. I do love that story folks. I do.

Speaking of Santa, I continue to pencil in dates on my calendar. These dates, of course, are tentative because only the Lord knows what will be going on in this upcoming November and December. But, it is good to make plans as long as we do so with God's will and provision in mind. We have this from the inspired letter written by Brother James early in the first century: "Come now, you who say, 'Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit'; whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away. Instead you ought to say, 'If the Lord wills, we shall live and do this or that.' But now you boast in your arrogance. All such boasting is evil." (Chapter 4, verses 13-16) Being mindful of this truth, we are making plans. That photo was taken by the professional photographer that I plan to work with again this year. When I look at that image it makes me wonder how much I should be paying them to allow me such joy. On the other hand, I do have an hourly rate schedule if you are interested. Joking only.


At the memorial service for my brother in law I saw folks I had not seen in years. My brother in law's sister, Beverly, was actually driving the pickup truck the night I came face to face with destiny. Us boys had been out to the singing school at Oak Grove Church scouting the young ladies. After it ended we gave chase to that pickup truck that was loaded down with girls. Must have been five or six in that cab. We finally got them to pull over. I walked over to the passenger side door. The window came down and there she was. Something came over me. It, of course, was my wife to be, and that feeling was a little like I felt when they were trying to adjust my diabetes medications. When they zapped me too much I could hardly stand because of being so wobbly. You do think I'm exaggerating, don't you? If I am it is very consistent with my reporting of this incident for the past 50 years. Therefore, it is my story, and in this case I am very happy to say that I am sticking to it! Have a great Saturday and Lord Day's Sunday, and may God bless each one. Amen.       .....More later.

No comments: