Monday, August 6, 2012

Happy Birthday to our own version of the Dynamic Duo, Our Twins, Alesha and Amanda!


Good Monday morning to you on this August 6, 2012 where we are celebrating the 14th anniversary of God's gift to us when our twin granddaughters arrived on the scene. We say Happy Birthday to these lovely young ladies as we thank God for them, their lives, and their testimony for their Savior, Jesus Christ. Fourteen. Even though I've been here for the entire ride, that number just knocks me down. I well remember when they were born. I well remember when they were little and how they had to be hanging on to each other, all the time. They are still close but as opposites as they have each developed their own unique personalities. I think night and day would be a good way to describe their differences. The inset photo is from our time together yesterday where we had 28 candles on their cake. What a joy they are and how blessed we are to have them as our granddaughters. We pray for them every single day and on this occasion we ask a special blessing as they continue to be molded into the life God has for them. Happy Birthday girls. We love you. MiMi and Poppy!

Our Wednesday evening Bible Study and Prayer Meeting is a throwback in many ways. We actually sing out of real hymnals or songbooks. Remember them? I lead the singing and we typically have a piano player. It's a sing along because the folks get to choose the songs. We have a great time making what we desire to be a joyful noise before the Lord. We also spend time in sharing burdens, the needs of those we love, and other requests that we seek to lay before God's throne. We pray. We then open up God's Book and seek to hear Him speak as we share the truths He has preserved for us. I know traditions can become obstacles if they replace truth but at the same time, I just have to tell you that it is wonderful to enjoy a time of celebrating the Lord while also connecting to your upbringing where we did it basically the same way. There are some traditions worth observing. Joseph, the carpenter and earthly father figure to Jesus, had some traditions that he religiously kept. He and the family always went up to Jerusalem at the appointed time. That may have been called old fashioned but he did it for the right reasons and I hope that is why we do Wednesday evening the way we do it. Amen.

We don't get in a hurry when we share requests among each other. Prayer is such a wonderful provision and we are so privileged to be able to share in each other's needs as we seek God. Bottom line: We are a needy people. I often think of the old song when we are sharing our hearts with each other, I Need the Prayers of Those I Love. The lyrics say it best: "Verse: I need the prayers of those I love, While trav’ling o’er life’s rugged way, That I may true and faithful be,  And live for Jesus every day. Refrain: I want my friends to pray for me, To bear my tempted soul above, And intercede with God for me; I need the prayers of those I love. Verse: I need the prayers of those I love, To help me in each trying hour, To bear my tempted soul to Him, That He may keep me by His pow’r. Refrain: I want my friends to pray for me, To hold me up on wings of faith, That I may walk the narrow way, Kept by our Father’s glorious grace." That is so true my friends, so very true. Amen.           .....More later.

No comments: