Monday, August 13, 2012

Thank God for the hope we have for our home in heaven. Amen.

Please pray for the family of our brother in law Charles Goins. He passed over to the other side last Saturday morning at 6 a.m. We will be attending his home going celebration this morning at 10 a.m., at his Church in Leesville, Louisiana. Charles never met a stranger. He could talk to anyone and they typically always warmed up to him. He did make a difference in the lives of many during his sojourn. He will be missed. He was beloved by his family, especially his grandchildren that he doted on. As it should be! We also pray for his dear wife and two sons and their wives along with his mom and sister. May God help them during this time of remembering his life. Amen.

                                                                         ********************

It's a good day to give thanks unto the Lord. That's right, even if it is on a Monday. This one happens to fall on August 13, 2012. They tell us there can be as many as three Friday the 13ths in any given year. I suppose it's good that it isn't just the date designation of 13 or some folks would be dodging black cats at least twelve times a year. But, with there being a dozen horror movies connected to the theme, someone is capitalizing on the superstitions and fears of people. For me, some of the scariest stuff I deal with is in trying to keep my dietary affairs in order. Being diabetic, I do read the fine print on most food labels. I try to find items that have a whole lot of zeroes in the Daily Values lineup. You know. Low calories with zero calories from fat. Low or zero cholesterol and carbohydrates. I have found that sometimes the end result is zero taste. Might as well eat cardboard but I don't have an ingredient list for it, therefore, it might not meet the requirements, other than it just might taste better. I am not complaining. Just sharing. I wrote this while chewing on some crisp, hot pickled okra. Two pods equals 15 calories and everything is zeroes on the list except for the 10% sodium. With the hot, it actually has some taste. Not too bad. Yum yum.

Don't get me wrong. I don't just fall off the wagon from time to time, I actually jump. I am aware when this happens and I always include a plan to compensate for it, after the fact. Good idea. Not always effective, but it is a good thought. But when you think about it, nearly everyone has something they wish they didn't have to deal with. And there are many who get up every day facing challenges that are hard for most of us to imagine. My heart goes out to children who are confined to a wheelchair who will most likely spend their life in one. My heart goes out to those who have a major physical disability but they are out there in the workplace doing their thing. We grew up spending time with an Aunt who had an inoperable brain tumor. She did nothing as a child to expose herself to this malicious intruder but she lived with its ramifications everyday of her 46 year sojourn. The good news for Aunt Jean. As a teenager she responded to the Gospel and was saved by the grace of God. We know we will see her again and she will no longer be disabled or distressed. Now that will be a glad reunion day!

I would apologize for stringing together these somewhat discombobulated thoughts but as you already know, it probably wouldn't change anything going forward. Maybe I heard that old admonition wrongly and often end up leaping before I look. But, as my mom likes to quote me saying, "It is what it is." This phrase suggests something but it certainly doesn't explain anything. Maybe it's like the old Cronkite sign off, "And, that's the way it is." They may be nothing more than throw down phrases but I like them because they help polish up the lingo. And, I will be the first to admit that mine needs about as much polish as anyone. You might want to bring a buffer as well. That leads me to say farewell for now where I will be throwing caution to the wind, and remember it's not you, it's me, don't take this the wrong way, and finally, have a nice day. May God bless. Amen.     ....More later.

No comments: