Thursday, August 23, 2012

Elvis: "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On!"

It's Thursday folks, all day long, and I bid you a coffee stained welcome on this August 23, 2012. My little one cup percolator is working really hard. I'm not sure it was built for industrial duty but we are giving it a workout just the same. One thing I've noticed. And, this is not necessarily a good thing. I believe I am making each cup stronger than I made when I was making 10 cups at a time. Yikes. It's not that I lose count on the spoonfuls but it just seems to take a little more to get that flavor level up on an individual cup basis. I did really overdo it a couple of times. Not to worry. By about the third or fourth swallow I was humming Hank Williams' Jambalaya. Your coffee never makes you hum? Sad my friend, so sad. Okay. I plead guilty. Next time you introduce me, you have my permission to use these comments: "Since he is a coffee fanatic, I figured he could Perk Up our meeting and not let it become a Grind! I've heard that he Espressos himself well, and would never be considered a Drip. I'm sure you are as curious as I am to hear what he's Brewed Up for us today!"

Too far? Again, I plead guilty. But since I more or less invented this caricature of myself and since it is more or less true, I suppose I am deserving of any groans that come about as folks read about it. Last week on my birthday, on the 16th, it was the 35th anniversary of the death of Elvis Presley. My coffee story with its shaking component was intended to be a backhanded recognition of this American icon. Thanks also to so many who wished me a happy birthday. I received some cards that were hard to understand. I felt they had to have been misdirected. Maybe they got mine in the wrong envelope. Too many nice comments. I'm not dealing out any false modesty here but I just don't feel worthy of some of what was said. However, I so much appreciate the kindness and love expressed. And, I do agree that if we are to tell others what they mean to us, recent events remind us that we had better do it now because we just never know. I feel God's favor in having so many folks in my life that are blessings. Amen.

What's that? Have I ever considered becoming a spokesperson for Community? That's a really good question and the answer is in the affirmative. Considered. Not acted on. I thought maybe I could be one of those route guys but I observed them working and that duty is very much for a younger fellow, if you know what I mean. New Orleans is a coffee town, among other things. They report that Community has a huge dominance in market share in 'NAWLINS'. (Over 75%) Says a lot, if you ask me. Meanwhile, I will continue to work with my little coffee maker to see which one wears out first, it or me. It will be like the NASCAR drivers trying out a new tire at 200 miles per hour. I'm sure the little fellow feels like that's exactly what's happening to him. But, so far he's hanging in there and so am I. Go ahead and enjoy whatever brew you like. Just don't brag on it around me if it's not Community. Don't get all fretful on me. Just joking. It's a joke. Have a wonderful day and may our great God add His blessings to it! Amen.     .....More later.

No comments: