Thursday, August 9, 2012

Focused on doing the right things. Right?

Thursday is here. It is August 9, 2012. One good thing about being busy. No grass grows under your feet. And, there's this blurring effect where you show up on Monday and then you look up and find yourself on Thursday. Not too bad, when you think about it. And, for me, I get the blessing of typically not having to be rocked to sleep. I call it a blessing because I am very much aware of several in our family who deal with sleep disorders and I know firsthand how difficult that can be in facing each new day. Also, I note that I am well aware that being busy does not always mean being productive. I well remember one of the last themes I established at the big company and it said this: Doing the Right Things - Right! Can we do wrong things right? Most certainly. If you build something based on specifications that end up being incorrect, all the quality and busy effort still produces the wrong outcome or result. See what I mean? It all matters folks, it all matters. All of that gave me a slight headache so I think I had better take something for it. I know. A cup of Community might just be what the doctor ordered because typically I have found that it is good, not only until the last drop, but it's good for whatever ails you.

One of the things recommended to improve your communications is to work on your humor. I've been looking into this some. Here's one you may have heard but I thought it was kind of funny. "Thinking that the political candidate needed to show a more human side of himself, his advisers told him to visit an old age home. Walking into the room of an old man, with the cameras whirring,  the nominee was surprised when the old man offered him some peanuts from a bowl on the table. “Thank you”, said the nominee after being offered more for the 3rd time, “why don’t you have some yourself?” “Oh, I can’t eat it”  said the old man, “I don’t have any teeth.”   “So why do you have them?” asked the confused nominee. “Oh, I only suck the chocolate off of each of them” was the glib reply." I said kind of funny. Not great but maybe it's an age thing. I read one about a photographer who was trying to get work. She was at her friends house for dinner and showed her some of her pictures. The friend commented that she must have a really good camera. This caused the photographer to burn inside that she would imply it was the camera and not her talent. At the end of the rather tasty meal the photographer told her friend that the food was outstanding and she guessed that she must have some really excellent pots and pans.

What's that you say? Keep looking. Yeah. I thought the same thing. In my case, many of my best funnies come from my own personal experiences. Maybe I should stick with them but they often end up with me being the punch line. No one wants to be the butt of the joke, all the time. Think about the poor blondes. They get blasted all the time. The other day I heard about the blonde who called the airline and asked how long would it take to get from Miami to Dallas. The attendant said "Just a minute please." The blonde said thanks and hung up. See what I mean? I don't want to end up with that kind of following. I suppose I will just keep on searching and if I do find a good one, at least better than the ones I used today, I will let you know about it. Have yourself a great Thursday and Lord willing I'll be here tomorrow on this same station. Amen.        .....More later.

No comments: