Wednesday, August 22, 2012

"Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!" Dr. Seuss

We made it folks. We made it. You know. We've found that famous spot on the shopping mall kiosk map that says: You are here. Where? It's a brand new day, and we've made it to Wednesday, August 22, 2012, and I commend us all for embracing it with a recognition that it is the only one we can do much with, at least for now. Don't you love it when I talk in circles? My last personal visit with my friend Herman was while he was in the hospital. He was feeling very poorly but he still showed some spunk as we bantered forth and back. He asked about my brother in law and I told him about my trip over there and how Charles had just talked and talked and talked. Herman responded: "Are you sure he's not your brother?" See what I mean? I suppose I deserved it and it was good to see him laugh a little. I also reckon it is good to be known for something. It's even better to be known for something positive. Like the recommendation given to us by the Apostle Paul in that famous text from his letter written to the Philippians: "Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things." (Chapter 4, Verse 8)

I was visiting with some folks last week and they were appalled that I am not all in as it relates to my vote in the upcoming presidential election. They are so anti incumbent I'm not sure they care whose name appears in opposition. I gave them a little of my on-the-one hand and then on-the-other reasoning and their eyes got big. They really didn't want to hear any thoughts that questioned their made up minds. And, while I fully support their right to make the decision they have already made, I can't really understand their perplexity concerning where I am in the process. I'm not an undecided voter. I am a disgusted voter, a disgruntled voter, and I'm praying that God will help me to work through these concerns. Here's one for you. At the end of the day, (one of the most overused phrases that many people are tired of hearing), but really, at the end of the day, the outcome is ultimately fitted into God's control over all the affairs of His created world, therefore, I continue to put my faith and trust in Him. Meanwhile, keep those eyes a'rolling.

The other morning as I was driving in to work I had a somewhat unnerving experience. I see deer all the time. But here I was minding my own business and suddenly I catch a glimpse of something moving outside my driver's side window. It's a big buck loping alongside my car. Surprise! Surprise! He seemed to be pretty much observing the speed limit but I'll tell you, it startled me for a second. No. I do not remember the rules for when deer are allowed to pass you and whether you should yield to the left or the right. But, it may be in the book. My recollection of that book was from a long time ago. It was like a little wake up call that made me aware how these critters can come from anywhere at anytime. Where he was running was on the median between the two roadways. Okay. That's my little wildlife house on the prairie story for today. I do pray that you will embrace today and make the best of it, and in so doing, that you will honor God in your pursuits. Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: