Monday, August 27, 2012

Someone has to stay in the kitchen even if it does get hot. Or something like that.

~We had ourselves a wonderful family luncheon yesterday. My wife overdid it on the big meal, (think Thanksgiving), to everyone's enjoyment. There were twenty of us gathered around the table and we did pause to thank God for our time together.Thankful. That's what I am folks. Pure and simple. Thankful. For each and every blessing. Amen.~

Well. Well. And, yes, that is, as they used to say where I come from, a deep subject for such a shallow mind. But, it is good to be back with you on this Monday, August 27, 2012. Several of the grand kids were at the house the day their MiMi returned. I was informed that her reception was like that of a returning hero. She said they nearly squeezed the life out of her. I am glad they were glad to see her. I did mention to her that while she was away, when I came in from work they usually in very short order would go upstairs. I do know why. I typically hold them accountable for cleaning up after themselves, and to be honest, I could tell they all were very relieved that their MiMi was back to take the pressure off. Let me see. Out of 100% of their waking hours I asked for less than 2% to be spent on some minimal chores, but even that seems burdensome I suppose. I will admit that I do not stay up with them until all hours watching TV, or doing puzzles, or whatever. Their MiMi does. No wonder she is so beloved but someone has to be the heavy and I guess that's where I come into the picture. It comes with the territory.

That little image above reminded me of those little sayings that moms use, they are called momisms. Moms come in all shapes and sizes and so do their sayings.  Some you may have heard as a child: Get down from there! You’ll break your neck. ~ Put that down you’ll poke someone’s eye out! ~ I’ll give you something to cry about. ~ What did you say, Missy/Buster? ~ If I have said it once I’ve said it a thousand times! ~ Clean your plate. ~ Children are to be seen and not heard. ~ Later when we became teenagers: Are you going out dressed like THAT?Get that hair out of your eyes. ~ Shoulders back, chest out. ~ How many times do I have to tell you?Clean up your room. ~ The only one that comes to mind that was unique to my mom was this one: If you don't stop I'm going to come over there and pinch your head off. ~ In the end, if you have the kind of mom like mine then you are blessed my friend, blessed indeed.

The other day when we were in Louisiana, dad treated us at the Chinese buffet place. This is a restaurant frequented by the soldiers from nearby Fort Polk. I've been there numerous times and have often felt a pull to do something to show my appreciation for these uniformed warriors. However, I've resisted in the past but this time I told the lady at the register that I wanted to pay for the meals of about five of our finest sitting across the way. She seemed surprised but hurriedly sent the wait person over to get the ticket. The wait person told them I was paying for their meal. They all looked my way and waved. I waved back. As we made our way to our vehicles one of the soldiers ran up to me and thanked me profusely. I told him that it was I who thanked him and his comrades for their service to our country. He left and we continued. Just as I was getting to our vehicle here came the senior non com officer and he also expressed his sincere appreciation. I felt awkward but assured him of our respect and support for him and all those who wear the uniform of our nation. I also gave a God bless you to seal the deal. It was a very inspirational moment and one that I will not soon forget, and one that I hope to repeat, sooner, not later. May God bless them all is my prayer. Amen.     More later.

No comments: