Thursday, August 16, 2012

Good thought but I'm still thinking about its veracity: The older the fiddler, the sweeter the tune. - English Proverb

This is Thursday, August 16, 2012 and I, like the late Minne Pearl, greet you with: ""How-w-w-DEE-E-E-E! I'm jes' so proud to be here!" The 'here' is in the context of me marking another year of my sojourn here on the planet. Sixty six years and counting. While people often say they are in a holding pattern, I think it's obvious that for all of us, time marches on. The saying attributed to Mickey Mantle comes to mind, "If I had known I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself." But it is a blessing to be able to share my thankfulness to God for the life He has given to me. Do I have many things I would have liked to have done differently? How much time do you have? But, at this juncture where the road is marked Route 66, I count my blessings beginning with my right standing with God based on me having placed my trust in His provision, His one and only Son who came and lived a perfect life, died on the Cross in my place, and then was raised from the dead, ascended into heaven where He is currently at the Father's right hand and is there making intercession for me. Now that is a long sentence but the truth it conveys means more and more to me as each year goes by.

I'm also thankful for those God placed in my life. My grandparents. My mom and dad. My wife for soon to be 48 years. Our children. Our grandchildren. Our great granddaughter. My siblings. My wife's family. My extended family. And, my Church family, made up of brothers and sisters joined to me through our common kinship in Christ. People. They are blessings. Tears. We've had our share but they too are a part of life. I think about folks I have worked with who helped me along the way. I think about those who have encouraged me and those who prayed for me. I'm the first to confess my need for the prayers of all those in my life. Bottom line: I am able to sing that line from the Southern Gospel Song, "Thank you Lord for your blessings on me."

I'm still trying to get used to the category I find myself in. It seems that our mailbox is stuffed each week with reminders of that designation: Older Person. It's mostly medical correspondence either from our doctors, our insurance, or those who want to sell us some of the same. It seems awkward that I am called a Boomer but as I so often tell people, "I'm in pretty good shape for the shape I am in." So much to be thankful for. So many wonderful memories from my past and from those who have gone on to their reward as well as those who are still in the here and now. I'll close out this rather sentimental walk down memory lane with the words from Paw Paw Mac's favorite song: "Many things about tomorrow I don't seem to understand, but I know Who holds tomorrow, and I know Who holds my hand." Have yourself a wonderful day and may God bless each one. Amen.    ....More later.

No comments: