Tuesday, August 7, 2012

No. It wasn't my whiny voice. I was just a little hoarse when I said it.

Here we are again. It's Tuesday, August 7, 2012. I do thank you for stopping by. Last Friday when I was sharing my lamentable story  about how I lost $11 by not being able to cash in on the coupon caper at HEB, it reminded me of something that happened back in early 1965. It was bitterly cold and I was a helper to the night shift Oiler at a huge construction site. We had responsibility to take care of oil changes and maintenance on dozens of huge bulldozers and other earth moving equipment. One night we came into the main shop and we had been out in the cold and I was shivering. I was 18 and weighed 125 pounds soaking wet, as they say. The night superintendent was joking around and he asked me what was wrong. I told him how cold I was and I must have used my whiny voice because this is how he responded, "Would somebody give that boy a quarter and tell him to just shut up!" Everyone got a huge laugh out of that. Except me, of course. Therefore, I want you to know that I was not using my whiny voice when I told you about my sad HEB story, therefore, please don't send me any quarters.

Speaking of whining, it's real easy to get there, faster than we think sometimes. Our Pastor recently shared a message where he used some examples in the Bible where folks went from the top of the mountain in their spiritual life to a total disastrous rock bottom emotional collapse. Faster than one can imagine. He used the account of Elijah the great Prophet of Jehovah God. Elijah challenged the prevailing false worship in his day, the worship of Baal. In doing so, God gave him one of the greatest victories in The Scriptures as fire rained down from heaven. Basking in that great victory was short lived. The Queen, Jezebel was incensed by what had happened to her false priests. She put out a death warrant against Elijah. Suddenly Elijah lost his confidence and he began to run. He ran and ran until he found an isolated place where he wished he could die. (Read the entire account as found in 1st Kings, Chapters 17, 18, and 19) Just that quickly. I mean within hours. It can happen to any of us. The good news is that God did not leave his Prophet alone. He provided for him and he helped him to be restored to service. This is a wonderful illustration of how easy it is to get down and out, but also it tells us where our true source of strength can be found. And, I say Amen to that!

I hate those rain shortened races in NASCAR. EXCEPT! When my driver wins, like he did Sunday. I hate watching the Americans lose in the Olympics. Sorry. I just don't like it when they lose. I know. We are the world and all of that gobbledy gook.  It's not that I lack respect for the athletic prowess of others, I'm just 100% prejudiced when it comes to our own country. I appreciate the outpouring of patriotic spirit by the Brits as they have hosted and cheered their home teams on. I heard someone the other day describing how many things we learn to do by habit, without even thinking. Like the routine we follow when we get in our car to drive. Why is it this way? Because we have done it so often by rote. He went on to say that is how he was taught growing up in school about what it means to be an American. He was taught love of country and patriotic fervor. It became habit to him. Me too. Sadly, often today's children are exposed to something different than this Gung-Ho support for our country. It is very true that it is a small world and we are a part of the global community. Gaining understanding and insight into other nationalities and cultures is a worthy endeavor. However, the foundation we operate from is our heritage and our identity as Americans, and that's the way I see it. Go USA! Go USA! And may God bless each one. Amen.       More later......

No comments: