Friday, August 27, 2010

Thanking God for His work on behalf of His own!

It is Friday, August 27, 2010 and no doubt many are standing in line to welcome its arrival. I've actually put in a fairly busy week here at my job while also doing my best to attend to and support my brother in his illness. He is making progress. Each person involved has their own opinions about what he recognizes and what he doesn't, but given the massive nature of his heart attack, the fact that the EMTs shocked him 5 different times with the defibrillator while working continuously for over 30 minutes before they got a heart rhythm, and given the dire predictions of the medical staff, I would say he's like a miracle man at the moment, even to be sitting up, breathing on his own, and able to mouth a few words now and then. He is still sick and he will need attention to his heart and perhaps some rehabilitation, but all in all, he has been given another shot, but it will be up to him what he does with it. Thanks for your prayers and support. It is greatly appreciated.

I will tell you this. Sixty four may be a tremendous golf score but its not as great when that's your age and you are trying to burn the candle at both ends. You will be proud to know that I actually slept in the morning I got to bed at 2 a.m. I didn't get to work until 6:50 a.m. Thanks for those who missed my insanely early blog posting. It's always good to know that people care. I well remember a spiritual mentor of mine, the late Dr. Havis McBryde and his take on sleep. He used to talk about folks being too tired to do anything for the Lord. He said when you get your priorities straight you find that sleep can be adjusted to whatever you desire to accomplish for the Lord. My grandfather pretty much practiced that bit of time management and I suppose I caught on to it as well. But, and that is a well placed 'but', it does begin to get a wee bit harder as the years roll on. Several people have told me this past week that I look tired. Maybe it is because I am tired. Hello? Yet, I am so thankful to have the strength to get up and go in order to do the things God has allowed me to do. I used to tell my guys at the big company that I had no interest in burning out because I preferred to burn up in my commitment to getting the job done. That sounds rather silly in retrospect but those who live by the sword and all that other stuff, know what I mean Vern?

I really haven't had time to inquire this week but how in the world are you doing anyway? Fine. Did you say fine? That, my friend, is the knee jerk response 90% of the time. But we've been conditioned to say 'fine' even though we often are not doing that well at all. Been there done that. I've been so low I couldn't see over my shoe laces and when asked how things were going. Fine! Part of the problem is that we all know that most of the time the person who asks is also doing a knee jerk question. They really don't want to hear anything other than fine, right? How do we know? Just unload a time or two and you will see the shock and awe that awaits you. Sure, that's not true with everyone and you and I, especially we who are believers should be aware that many times we are placed in situations where God would have us to minister to someone, perhaps unexpected to us, but never to Him. I've run into a few people who refused to answer the standard how ya doing because they said why should I tell you since I doubt seriously that you want to know or that you care. While that may sound rude, it often does reflect reality. But, we can work on it, and that's the good news. I well remember many of the training classes I sat through where the company was trying to get folks to balance concern and compassion versus the bottom line. Showing the right amount but not having it cost any time or effort is not only impossible but it leads to where most are today. Typically, very little concern or compassion. That approach is one of legalistic and uncaring platitudes and it has caused many to be soured on whether companies actually give a flip about those who labor on their behalf. Sad to think that you and I might come across this way as we go about our busy lives, do our busy stuff, while we busily try to to stay on top of our priorities. I had a friend once named George Farmer who had this heart for others so great that he would interrupt almost any activity, schedule, or work priority to help them out. Most people thought he was odd and maybe a little wacky. Many of the people he helped were street people and those down and out. Sounds scary doesn't it? Sounds a little like Jesus to me and it also serves to remind us all of the calling He has placed on our lives. Now this little sermon presents a challenging thought and it's a good way to end the work week and prepare us for our Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday. Amen? Sure go ahead, a good hearty Amen will do you some good! Amen. ...............More later.

No comments: