Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Evaluating one of PawPaw's favorite songs.

It is Wednesday, August 25, 2010 and I ask that everyone pray for wisdom and courage as today promises to be very difficult as decisions may have to be made concerning my brother. He did show a glimmer of positive response yesterday but this was only a tiny baby step in terms of his recovery. But any positive news is appreciated and we thank God as we anticipate that much more will be learned today. Thanks for your prayers and support. Those who have read my blog for any length of time know how many times I have referred to one of my grandfather Mac's favorite songs. I know he faced some legendary challenges throughout his sojourn here and he did so with a faith that we still talk about today. I'm beginning to perceive why the tears would roll off those rugged cheeks as he gently swayed to the words of this wonderful text: I don't know about tomorrow, I just live from day to day. I don't borrow from its sunshine, For its skies may turn to gray. I don't worry about my future, For I know what Jesus said. And today He walks beside me For He knows what lies ahead. Many things about tomorrow I don't seem to understand. But I know who holds tomorrow and I know who holds my hand. I actually believe he not only loved this song, he actually lived it out as a testimony in his life. Some people think that people of faith whose first reaction is to seek God are somehow weak and looking for a way out of dealing with reality. I actually heard some of this being expressed in the ICU waiting area this week. This fellow was saying that too many people want to find reason by saying something about God and His will. My response: Exactly! I know it's much easier to sing the words to this song and I can do it by heart because I heard it growing up no telling how many times. But to walk by faith and not by sight is a scary thing to most of us because we must abandon ourselves into the all knowing care of our Savior. It is my prayer that through these difficult times we are going through that my grandfather's testimony would become a reality in my life, and the lives of all those involved.

Even in this situation we can see the blessing of God. How? The outpouring of love and support far and wide is a testimony that God is at work. The phone calls, emails, and prayers being offered up reflect upon the truth that we can access our Father's Throne Room through the blood of our Savior. What a blessing! The way our family always comes together during times of challenge is also encouraging and I believe something we can thank God for. I received a note from a nephew that spoke of what his Uncle Donald has meant to him over the years and how he was able to let him know this not too long ago. He then went on to say how much he respected and appreciated me. His words were way too kind about myself but it does tell us all that people make a difference. They count. This is God's design and we should not only thank Him but as my nephew said, we need to let others know because they have been used as instruments in our lives. That's a great reminder for us all and I pray that I'll heed it first in line, and that you will also. Maybe today would be a good day to call that someone you have wanted to speak to. Or, perhaps a card, letter, or even an email. Sure, we are busy, and that's not going to change anytime soon but given the briefness of time and the fact that we never know what a day will bring, there's no time like the present. Our family can feel your prayers and that too is a blessing from our God who cares. Have a great day and thanks. Amen. ......More later.

No comments: