Thursday, August 5, 2010

Is there a 1-800 number for a computer going through an identity crisis?

Was it only the other day I was going on and on about the rain? That story is now on the back burner because the front burner is occupied with a mini-heat wave we are experiencing. All those inches of rain in July, an unexpected blessing, but with the real temps close to 100 each day and the feel likes 105 or higher, it doesn't take long to move from luscious green to some brown tint here and there. As they say back home, it is just flat out hot! We will have to start watering again because there does not appear to be any rain relief for another week or so. But, we should not be surprised because it's summertime and in this area it is supposed to be hot. With high humidity and extremely high temps, the misery level can be hard to bear. I am out and about some but for the most part I sit in air conditioned comfort most of each day. This would be the time for me to pause and thank God for this blessing. Don't you agree? It is good to visit each day and find out what might be agitating my gray cells as I sit at the keyboard. I send you a greeting and a prayer for you and yours that God will be close to you all on this Thursday, August 5, 2010. My computer here at work has been feeling a little poorly lately. When it works it works fine. But I think it has begun to have an identity crisis because I get a message every once in a while that says I need to go off battery and connect to line power soon and then it shuts down. That message is for lap top or portable PC systems and my computer is neither. Thus far I have been able to wake it up and get it up and going again but I think the day is coming when it will sleep on and on and on. My boss has a new one for me in the closet but I have grown attached to this little guy and will do what I can to keep him going.

The other day when I was helping my sister over in Louisiana with her computer she asked why I referred to it like it was a person. I was attempting to trouble shoot her problem which had to do with her internet connection. When working through these procedures, it is helpful to me to talk out what might be some of the issues. "Well he has a connection but he doesn't seem to recognize it." "It's like he has lost his map that shows him how to connect." That may sound silly to you but it does help me as I try to do problem resolution. In my sister's case, he was just fine. It seems some of her grand kids had disconnected her interface unit from the power source. "He couldn't see that unit because the unit had quit talking to him." Once we found the problem and reinitialized the box they began talking and the internet came up and everything was good. "They became friends again and lived happily ever after." Sorry. I may have gone a little overboard on that one but you get the idea of how this might be of help when trying to figure out what's going on. I believe everyone here at the office is on new equipment and I am the last one to be wet nursing my unit. "He has done wonderful work for me and I am a sucker for sticking with what I know, therefore, I will let him struggle some until that fateful day when his screen fades to black." No. I am not crazy, although I might trend in that direction, but it's a joke, lighten up a little, and have good laugh.

I suppose I could throw in a few 'hot' jokes for good measure. Sorry, I am unable to take your call at this time requesting that I not share any jokes, but please feel free to leave a message and I'll get back to you later. I heard it was so hot that trees have been fighting with each other over who gets the dog. It's so hot I feel like I'm living in the french fry bin at McDonalds. It's so hot the chickens have a choice in laying their eggs, hard boiled or fried. It's so hot people risk a wreck not for the closest parking spot but for the one with the shade. Okay, enough of that. I did see one I liked even though it wasn't related to hot weather. What did Santa's wife say during the thunderstorm? "Come over here and look at the rain, dear." I wasn't looking for that one but it jumped out at me. Lord knows we all need something to make us smile. Maybe you have never talked about a computer like it was a person. Maybe you find very little to smile about. That's too bad. I must tell you that I find quite a bit to laugh about each day and much of it has to do with me because I can do some pretty funny things at times. You would rather here about those? I bet you would and some I do talk about and others are funny but I'll have to reserve them for myself. I just patted my computer display and told him he had done a good job hanging in there while I was banging away on today's blog. He didn't say anything but I know he feels good that I at least recognize his contributions. Until next time I'll see you later, maybe at the funny farm. May God bless. Amen. ...........More later.

No comments: