Tuesday, August 17, 2010

I read this one and it stuck with me: You can't pick your family but you sure can pick your nose!

You thought perhaps I would forget to remember to get back with you, right? No such luck my friend. As promised, here I am, it's Tuesday, August 17, 2010, and I sit here as a brand new 64 year old codger, slapping these keys around like I know what I am doing. How did it all go? I couldn't be more proud, hopefully, in the right pride way. In fact, thinking about it gives me this tingling feeling like I get when I hear our national anthem, God Bless America, or in hearing Scotland's unofficial national anthem, "Flower of Scotland", being sung at a rugby match against England. Stirring. Grabs your heart. Or, on second thought, now that I am 64, who knows what new tinglings I will be experiencing as I continue this journey. The photo is the 5 generations shot. On the couch from left to right is my wife, mom and dad, and yours truly. Standing left to right is our grand-son-in-law, our granddaughter, our bundle of Madelyn Joy, our daughter-in-law and our son Chris. Some were also taken of all 20 of us that were there and I will proudly share some of them with you when I receive emailed copies. I think everyone involved in my birthday victory lap have sealed memories that will be with them for the rest of their lives. And, I thank everyone for their expressions of love in recognizing me on my birthday. I received a number of cards, several special greetings, and a gift and presentation by my Bible study class. Having mom and dad with me was more than the icing on the cake, it was like being given some type of privileged honor. They spent a long day Saturday up at the lake and also treated the entire entourage to lunch on Sunday before making their 4 hour journey back home. I know this trip was not easy for them but their coming will always be a treasure to me. Now it is time to return to my own regular routine where I mostly make it up as I go. I learned a long time ago that working without a net can have its drawbacks but it sure does make it all more exciting. The photo is of Great Great Granny with our little bundle of Madelyn Joy.

Enough about all of my excitement, how in the world are you doing, anyway? Remember what I told you a few months ago? Having a job during a tough economy causes one to experience how difficult it is to live through a recession. But being unemployed with little prospects causes one to wonder how they will survive the depression. Nearly every day I hear about another job loss within our circle of associates, family, and extended Church family. I read the other day that for many older unemployed folks, taking early retirement and drawing their social security is the only lifeline they have left. This has to be gut wrenching. Many of these lost their 401k's in the crash and now, after having devoted themselves to a lifetime of work and playing by the rules, they now find themselves wondering how they will ever get by. Is that fair? Not really, but we could start a list of things that are unfair and by the time we all added our items it would be too long to read. Reality can be both ugly and painful. Most of us have evidence to prove this from our life experience. However, we are not without hope because God is still there to love us and help us in our time of need.

I read last week what a writer in Britain had to say about the death of Christianity in his country. He was overjoyed that this system of cruel and hateful nonsense was now officially now longer of any impact to daily life there. He went on to say that the handful of pitiful Churches left were so isolated and out of touch, they too would soon be only a bad memory. This writer can be thankful for one thing. I am not God. He would most likely be looking like yesterday's burned toast if I had anything to do with it. But, in reality, we all would be like that were if not for the grace and love of our Great God. Yes, He even loves that scoundrel who wrote that He doesn't even exist and who takes joy in seeing all recognition of Him being stamped out. Yet, God will also hold this fellow accountable for his actions and that will be between him and God. The writer went on to say he was looking forward to the next chapter in the story when America wakes up and follows Britain's example. Scary, but you and I who do know that God exists and that He is Sovereign, should be very much aware that the forces that were at work in Britain are alive and well here in our homeland. We must seek God and seek to be the people He would have us to be if we are to avoid such a hell damning calamity. During tough times faith is tried but God is faithful and we need to pray for one another and continue the fight He has given to us. I pray for all who are struggling that they would find God and His peace during these trying times. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: