Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Jesus: "Be of good cheer! It is I; Do not be afraid."

Update on my brother: Donald has developed pneumonia but they believe it is very early and very treatable. Overall he seems to be holding his own while he awaits connection to a longer term acute care facility where he can become stronger and more fully recover from his heart failure. It is a day by day process and we continue to be thankful for all the prayers on his behalf.

***

I am feeling a little sad today. I didn't watch even one second of the Emmy awards show. I knew it was on but we watched the PBS Mystery series about Inspector Lewis. You probably know him. He was previously the sidekick sergeant of Chief Inspector Morse in a long running series. But Morse died. Never heard of any of this? Don't feel bad because when I read through the list of Emmy winners I had to chuckle. I've heard of many of those listed but the only one I recognized that we had actually watched was the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics. What does this tell us? Your Must See and my Must See can be, and often is, dramatically different. The really good news is how that my wife and I like many of the same shows with one huge exception. I do mostly exit the viewing arena when the Game Show Network is on. But, she almost always waits until I am ready to exit to tune in to her favorite channel. What's that you say? It works completely different in your home? I am not surprised. It is Tuesday, the 31st and last day of August, 2010. Now when the grand kids are with us, I will have to admit that all bets are off. It seems a little less than stellar to be watching a Sponge Bob marathon on the big screen when I could be seeing reruns of the First 48 police real life dramas but Sponge Bob can be entertaining as well, at least my grandchildren would agree. And, to think, when I was a kid in a rural area, we had by default, one channel, therefore, we typically were pretty much happy with whatever it had playing. That is, unless, the weather, stars, moon, and other elements all lined up in a particular and unusual way to give us a bit of a snowy but different channel to watch. Now that was like a special happening way back then. No wonder I am so messed up? You, my friend, are not alone in that assessment!

I've heard my wife telling folks how this episode with my brother has brought back to her our long vigil leading up to Bro. Milton's recovery. I can remember the roller coaster rides as we dealt each day with Bro. Milton's changing status. Very similarly, my brother's children are faced with the second by second good news, not so good news, and potentially bad news that always defines these types of medical crises. One day it looks like we are headed in a certain direction. The next we have to backtrack and regroup. Meanwhile, everyone involved has ongoing daily duties and obligations but by pulling together we try and reach consensus, build each other up, and somehow make it through the expected as well as the unexpected each day. Interpreting all that's being thrown into the mix is often in the eye of the beholder, as each family member hears it in a certain way and comes to their conclusions. Surprise, surprise. There's not always immediate agreement about the information received and often there are differences about how to proceed. This all adds tension to the mix. However, in the end, it falls upon family to come together, to hold each other up, and to find the common ground that keeps the one being cared for as the central focus of all the decisions being made. Easy? Not on your life! The strain is not only real but it can be seen and felt. This is why we need God's help. This is why we need His input into our decision making. This is why God uses people to lift up others in these often confusing and energy zapping experiences. We are blessed to have so many on our side and to know that God is at work to accomplish His purposes even when we can't figure it all out. Amen.

Many people are concerned about our current family events but I often think how true it is that what happens to us all is typical of being a part of the human family. The Apostle said it was "such as is common to man." As we deal with our stuff, so many others are doing the same, many with a degree of difficulty hard to imagine. I suppose because I tend to be somewhat claustrophobic , I have been drawn to those Chilean miners locked away underground some 2,000 plus feet below the surface. I've seen the film of them singing and sending greetings to their loved ones. I heard this morning that drilling a relief exit hole requires going through solid rock and they still estimate it might take until Christmas to reach these 33 men. The temperature is 90 degrees F, 24 hours a day. I don't know about you but their plight is hard for me to wrap my arms around. Their loved ones are in a state of agitated panic and distress. NASA has been called in since they have the most expertise in long term deprivation survival. I also have found it hard to watch the anniversary footage from the devastation brought on by Hurricane Katrina. The images from New Orleans are chilling. It once again causes a surge of disbelief that this could happen in our country. I've mentioned these incidents out of untold thousands to help us to be reminded that we never know what a day will bring. My brother was in the process of moving the day he went down with this massive heart attack. He, no doubt, was occupied with much planning and dealing with details. This is why we must always be ready, not ready for the circumstance, but ready to meet the Lord. Why? Because we never know what a day will bring but we can know the one who does, and He can be relied upon, regardless of the storm or circumstance, as Jesus said, "Be of good cheer! It is I; Do not be afraid" Have a great Tuesday and may God bless us all! Amen. .....More later.

No comments: