Thursday, August 26, 2010

One second at a time, Lord, give us the grace we need to give you all honor and glory, for You and You alone are worthy!

It is Thursday, August 26, 2010 and we are still seeking God's best for my brother. It has been a rough and exhausting week, for him, and for us all. Yesterday he surprised everyone by trying to wake up and becoming somewhat alert. One doctor told me they never expected him to respond at all, much less to be as alert as he is. There's still great concern for his cognitive abilities and we will know more about that today. They tell us they have not seen much yet in the way of voluntary response but he did tear up when he saw my wife and I. The doctor confirmed this to be a very voluntary response. He has come light years in the last 24 hours and we thank everyone for their prayers and we thank God for His working among us. I can't help but remember our little family group growing up. He and I used to wrestle quite a bit and he was very bullheaded but I was older. We could fight forth and back but I had to make sure I didn't get him so provoked that he more or less lost control because then the fighting went from play to real, and I never cared that much for the real stuff. And, typically when it got to being real then my Mom stepped in and she and a bunch of plum tree switches pretty much settled any left over arguments. But, that's another story. My mom raised up a huge bunch of diverse kiddos. Everyone of us had our own unique approach to life. However, we did retain a fair amount of some prolific inherited traits, like stubbornness and determination. Our childhood had plenty of challenges and far too many tears, but on balance, it was also filled with love and a sense of joy that causes me to look back, remember, and smile. My Mom is a very remarkable woman and she literally gave her all to us children as she struggled with all the adversities that came her way. It's no wonder we all have such great respect for her today.

Families. They do have their own stories to tell, right? One large family this week up in the waiting room had some of the most interesting dialogue going on that I've heard in a while. The mom of the group said this one time: "Yeah, I always worried about that kid being right there with those pit bulls but never dreamed he would end up being hit by a car." Families. We all have experiences that stick out and we all have a common thread or condition. It's called the human condition. One thing is clear from spending time in an ICU waiting area: All people cry in much the same way when they hurt from the inside out and this has nothing to do with race, creed, or religion. Families also typically bond when faced with crisis moments and they hold hands, pray, and remember who they are as a family. Most, not all, look to God. My Mom said to me yesterday that while her heart was heavy she was confident that God was with her and she wondered how those who do not know Him can ever make it through these types of gut wrenching experiences. I've said in the past that I have been handed down a legacy of faith but not one in name only. It's a faith shaped by the fires of adversity and pain, but one that comes with living illustrations and testimonials. I've seen my folks call out to God and I've seen Him respond. My Mom once again reminded me that He is the only one we can turn to and I told her the good news is how that turning to Him is enough. Yes, I am reminded of another song: "Jesus is right for whatever is wrong in your life." Have a blessed day and may God bless each one. Amen. ......More later.

No comments: