Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Let's agree to disagree, agreeably, but let's not call each other names!

Is it Wednesday already? I do believe it is, in fact, it's already August 11, 2010, and I bid you welcome to another one of our not so famous sessions where I pound out some characters and you read over them and then get to feel sympathy for those who have to be around me all day long. I would say I am trying to preserve some important style of writing but someone who knows a thimble full of facts would let everyone know that I actually am more defying any style, not trying to save one. But it is what it is and I've said before most of it comes spontaneously, therefore, you and I get to see it together. That doesn't mean I don't try to get the words spelled correctly and to do my best to make sure the sentences have some semblance of a connected thought. I do hear about it when I miss a word or when I say something that can be taken differently depending on how you read it. I love that about our language but it does become somewhat amusing as people express their concern over some little ditty I've written. Believe it or not, I do try to avoid any glaring misunderstandings because my desire is never to be mean spirited. However, I do realize that irony and sarcasm can be very tricky. Let's face it. We all come at life from different perspectives gained from different experiences and conclusions. I heard someone talking yesterday about how berserk some of her friends get when she criticizes the policies of our current President. She, like me, happens to think highly of President Obama as a person of distinction, as a husband and father, and for all he has accomplished at such a young age. But, she was lamenting how some of her friends question whether she is trending toward being racist when she strongly denounces his policies. See what I mean? I know exactly what she is talking about. Just because we disagree with something and are willing to say it, does not mean we are peddling hate. On the other hand, I respect those who see it differently. They can write their blogs and sing praises for all that's being done. I disagree with them but I don't believe they are black supremacists just because they support the President. We are different. And, I believe our differences, in and of themselves, are a part of what has made this country great.

Then we have those who are pretty much oblivious. They are like the proverbial monkeys that see no evil, hear no evil, and speak no evil. While that may sound appealing to some, I can't imagine being wired where this would be my way of life. I do know we have an entire generation and maybe two now that are for the most part tuned out on anything that has to do with news and politics. Why is it that surveys show a growing number of younger Americans now get the majority of their news from a comedy show called The Daily Show? It's like those mock debates where comedic actors played President George W. Bush and Vice President Al Gore that were done on Saturday Night Live. Did you know that a huge number of people formed their opinions about the candidates based on these comedic presentations? I loved those mock debates. I still watch them occasionally out on the internet. But, to think that anyone, I mean anyone, would watch these funny portrayals, and then make up their minds regarding something as critical as who should be President, it's mind boggling to me. However, this is where we are today, and perhaps this is how we got ourselves into the mess we are in, because these same people who watch a comedy show each day to get the news, and who make up their voting decisions based on skits, bought into a rhetoric filled campaign of hope and change. For those of us who evaluate it differently, we rejected it because the changes being promised were such that we believed, and now are seeing, how it destroys the very fabric of hope that has long characterized our country's great potential.

How is it that we should stand up for those principles that we believe were in fact inherited from Creator God? With a sense of courage and a pronounced under girding of humility. That's right folks. Humility. Not feigned condescension but a profound recognition of who we really are. I can't help but remember the account in the Bible about Moses, who is called wherever he is mentioned, the servant of God. What was it about Moses? How could anyone be strong enough to accomplish all that God called him to do? We gain insight into the kind of character that can be strong and courageous but also pleasing to God in something that is said by God about Moses. In Numbers 12, verse 3, it says: "(Now Moses was very humble, more than any man on the face of the earth)." I have read thousands of job want ads in my lifetime. I have also written and placed numerous ads in newspapers and periodicals. I have never seen humility or meekness listed as a major skill or characteristic being sought in a potential job candidate in any of them. Why? This is not what the world is looking for, and for the most part, it's not considered to be a very valuable attribute even among folks that should know better. Therefore, when we stand up to be counted on issues far and wide, we must see ourselves for who we are, and make sure our boldness is tempered with humility of spirit because that's what God would have us to be. Jesus sought forgiveness for those crucifying Him. (See Luke 23:34) Stephen, the first recorded martyr of the newly empowered Church, he also sought forgiveness for those raining down huge rocks upon him. (See Acts 7:60) Far too often we get caught up in the heat of the argument and our humbleness takes a back seat. We need God's help but it is worth seeking because the stakes or high and the need for men, women, boys and girls to stand up for thus says the word of the Lord is crucial if America is to fulfill its challenge of being one nation under God. The Apostle Peter said never fail to share the truth but make sure it is done with meekness and fear. (See 1st Peter 3:15) I had no idea where all of this was going but in the end I know I needed to read it and heed it. May God bless us all. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: