Thursday, August 12, 2010

Birthday victory lap!

Today is Thursday, August 12, 2010, and I am so looking forward to Friday the 13th. I hear those superstitious groans but tomorrow I will be off for a four day hiatus. It will be a kind of four day victory lap for my birthday which is coming up next Monday. I was born in 46 and I will be 64 next Monday and I was 46 exactly eighteen years ago. No. I'm not trying to show my mathematical prowess. Does this insight into numerology make you begin hearing the theme music to the Twilight Zone? If not, maybe you will not be surprised to know that I am still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. I've tried the 'grow out' more than several times and only had to supersize my wardrobe as a result. I do have some exciting news for those of you who actually read most of what I write. You also get a four day vacation! Who else do you know that passes out presents to celebrate their birthday? My next scheduled blog will be coming to a screen near you next Tuesday, August 17. Lord willing this is going to be a very special time for our family. My mom and dad are coming Saturday and our entire gang are planning a day of feasting and fellowship up on the lake, courtesy of our Rodney and his wife Mitzi. Five generations in the same place. This will mark a first for our little bundle of Madelyn Joy as she will finally get to meet her great greats! We are really excited about Mom and Dad coming. They have not been in our home for five years and let me just make it clear that I pause now to say, thank You Lord for this even being possible in my 64th year of sojourn here on the planet. Lord willing. That's right folks. Lord willing. This is exactly what we are instructed to pray as found in the letter written by James, Chapter 4, verses 13-15.

While I am away you can think about almost any and everything. I see where folks are lining up to get some financial settlement from British Petroleum due to the Gulf oil spill. Many of the claims are legitimate. Others I'm not so sure about. I heard a Cajun fellow being interviewed the other day who said he was seeking damages because BP had spoiled his vacation. He had purchased a little cabin near the Gulf on a bayou. The reporter asked if there was any oil around his cabin. He said no. The reporter asked had his access to his cabin been interfered with in any way. He said no. Why then was he claiming damages? Sadness. His cabin was supposed to be a place for happy retreat but all the communities around it are sad. The entire story is sad. It's a very sad situation. Therefore, he was not able to receive the joy he was expecting from his cabin. The reporter told him that things do happen in life. The man said he knew that but in this case he also knows who is responsible and he believes himself to be entitled to damages. I sure hope this guy doesn't get in front of folks who are near bankruptcy due to their loss of business. But, my understanding is there are literally thousands of claims just like this fellow's. I also heard the recently appointed payment czar say that he would consider claims from businesses from almost anywhere, even up on the east coast, if they can prove the loss of revenue because of not having seafood available from the Gulf region. I don't know about you but this sounds like to me it's going to be a huge potential for fraud but again, let's hope and pray the people who were truly damaged will get just compensation. Sad to say, but it's an American tradition for there to be twenty new passengers counted after the bus wreck who then get in line for payments.

My older buddy here at work recently told me a good one. He said he heard a sermon where the preacher was telling about a painter that came to do work at his house. The minister said the painter had some unusual words embroidered on his cap, "Get to." This puzzled the man of God and one day he stopped and chatted with the painter. "Sir, if I might ask, what is the meaning of the inscription on your cap?" The man was happy to share his story. "You see, brother, today I get to get up and go. I get to praise the Lord. I get to come to a place to work. I get to live in this great country." And, he went on and on about the things he is blessed to get to do. My buddy said he was very moved by this illustration and had talked to his wife about doing this same inscription for one of his hats. That's a great way for me to sign off today's blog in saying how privileged I feel in getting to share with all of you. If we think about it, this painter had the right perspective on living life with an appreciation of how blessed we really are. I leave you with a prayer that each of us will stop and think through all that God has allowed us to "Get to" do each day of our sojourn here. And now, I get to sign off and to say once again, Lord willing, I will 'get to' see you next Tuesday. May God bless us, one and all! Amen. ......More later.

No comments: