Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Congress' approval rating is at 11%. The Gulf Oil spill is at 12%. That tells you something!

Hello again, friends, neighbors, and countrymen and women. That inclusive welcome goes out to one and all on this Wednesday, August 4, 2010. I know some of you out there think I interpret stuff through my own narrow way of seeing things. That's okay but I do want you to know that I try and see it from all sides. In the end, we all have to draw our conclusions from the facts as we find them. I once read a theological article on the subject of how we should assess facts and information from a biblical standpoint. There was a particular diagram with that article that has stuck with me over the years. It showed a person's head with all the information sources flowing into it. We are bombarded with these information elements on a twenty four hour basis. The diagram showed a funnel through which the writer suggested we compare and contrast all pieces of information that comes to us. That funnel is the Word of God taken just as it was written and intended. As information is compared to this one of a kind objective basis of truth, then it can be accepted, rejected or branded for what it is, based on thus says the Word of the Lord. Therefore, good people can disagree agreeably about many different things, but where God has spoken clearly that should be the end of the discussion, period, end of story. If that approach is interpreted to be narrow minded, then so be it. Hopefully, when I deal with the issues that swirl around our world today, this approach is how I try to base my thoughts, fully realizing my own frailties, but at the same time fully convinced of God's ultimate power and authority to define the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Based on my experience I fully realize that this concept generates an endless array of questions and what ifs. However, since this is The View From Here, the 'here' is from my vantage point, and others are just as free to express themselves. And, there's always the possibility that you, I, or anyone else can be wrong but we should still do our best to evaluate what we hear and see based on the tools God has provided to us.

Speaking of looking at it from all sides, yesterday I was listening to the black talk radio station and they were discussing state politics. I am glad they have this means to express themselves freely. Nearly all the callers are 100% in favor of President Obama and his policies. They love him and what he represents in terms of racial progress. The other day I told you about Bill White who is the democratic nominee for Texas governor having a scheduling conflict that prohibited him from attending a fund raiser where President Obama was speaking. Bill White is Caucasian and his response has enraged the black community. They are taking what they see as a slight against the President and they are taking it personally. Caller after caller unloaded on Bill White. But, as the host pointed out, in the end they will have no choice but to vote for Bill White because they will not vote for the Republican, period. Texas trends towards 55% conservative, therefore, Bill White knows that to be elected he must appeal to this group or he can kiss his chances goodbye. He knows that currently this majority group is opposed to any and all things associated with this administration. I happen to agree with the black callers, not in their support for the policies of President Obama, but in their outrage over how politicians mistreat those who have proven themselves to be loyal constituents. I'll say it again, "Scheduling conflict, my foot!"

I said all of this to say how important it is to do our best to see it from the other person's point of view. Even those that we totally disagree with are free in our country to express themselves. I fully understand that if you grow up believing that you are a part of a class of people who have, throughout history, been disenfranchised, then you will come to issues differently than someone who has not had that same experience. The African American community is upset regarding the emphasis being paid to illegal immigration. Many of them believe that folks are showing more concern for those here illegally than they are for the huge problems that need to be addressed within the black community. See what I mean? It's all about where you come from in terms of how you see it. The good news is that God loves all people everywhere without regard to their color or status in life. But we must recognize that we are a fallen people living in a fallen and messed up world, therefore, we need God to help shape our views on all subjects. I know a fellow who many years ago used to rail against any that were on welfare or received public services of any kind. He was very vocal about how they needed to get out there and make a way for themselves. There came a day when he and his family had to sign up for those very same services. I don't know how he sees it today. He may still feel more entitled than others, however, I do know that he no longer talks about it like he once did. Experience. It does have a way of getting our attention. I know this will surprise many of you but to tell the truth, I don't have all the answers but I do know who we can turn to in our times of need as well as when we are just trying to make our way forward. That, of course, is to turn to the God who loved us enough to send His one and only Son to die for us. Turning to Him, my friend, will do us all a whole lot of good! Amen. .....More later.

No comments: