Thursday, August 19, 2010

Baby, it's not cold outside, and I'm not sure when it will be!

Good Thursday morning on this August 19, 2010, I send greetings to all my friends and neighbors. It is time to wake up and enjoy another day where we look wistfully towards a coming attraction called the first major cold front and wonder if it will wait until the end of October this year. Please don't. On Monday we had a 102 degree day where the feel like was close to 115. I was off that day and went up to have lunch around 2 p.m. with my wife at the big mall where she works. Did you know it can be hot enough inside a car so that the A/C, working well, running on high, seems not to even be working? Talk about hot! To think that anyone could leave a child in their car even for even a few seconds in these temperatures is hard to imagine. But, sadly, it happens all too frequently, and even sadder, often with tragic results. I didn't make that up about looking forward to the first cold front. I actually observed some ladies talking about it on my wife's Facebook page. See, I'm not the only one. But, since they mentioned it, I will admit to having a dream here and there about the wonders of colder air. I have close personal Church friends who have worn out snow shovels growing up and their views on colder weather are quite different. I've never even had my hands on a snow shovel so I'll have to go with what you get growing up and living in mostly humid and uncomfortable heat. That doesn't mean I can't appreciate the differences in experiences but my oh my how I wish some of that Canadian air would swing its way down towards us.

It is hard not to get stirred up about the huge controversy over the proposal to build a Muslim place of worship near Ground Zero in New York City. Our President was technically correct when he said that all religions have the right to worship freely under our constitutional form of government. Technically correct. However, there are always considerations that must be weighed when great issues involving sensitivity are involved. How about the feelings of the families who lost their loved ones just two blocks from where this proposed building would be located? How about the fact that this location is in a commercial district where no Muslim families live? How about the fact that those who are planning this building have chosen September 11 as the date it will become functional? I realize that not all Muslims are radicalized but nearly 80% of the American people get it. They get the fact that this building could be put somewhere else. They get the fact that to the families of those murdered, these grounds hold sacred meaning. Hey, think about it. We live in a country that will hold up the building of a dam because of an endangered minnow, but we can't seem to come to grips with finding a resolution to what on the surface appears to be an unnecessary provocation that will only serve to add insult to injury to so many. Technically correct. And, by the way, let's hope our President, now having gone on the record to try and curry favor with the Muslims, will now stand up for ALL religions and their constitutional rights going forward. He has not shown this same commitment in the past when it has involved faith based Christian initiatives.

I had to give you my own little drive by analysis on that one but I fully realize and respect the differences of opinion that exist regarding this matter. Respect. Freedom of speech is a guaranteed right under our constitution. However, we are NOT permitted to use this freedom to go into a crowded theater and exercise this right by crying out FIRE! when there is no fire, causing a stampede and seeing folks maimed as a result. Sometimes restrictions are hardwired. At other times they are implied based on the circumstances and situations at hand. This is how I read the matter involving the building of the Mosque. Common sense has to be a component of the evaluation process. I happen to appreciate those arguments that say building this Mosque is a testimony to how that we as Americans are not like those who foment hate based on their religious views. Yet, even with that as a positive, I happen to believe there should be a reasonable and workable alternative. As for those who want to turn this into nothing more than a political advantage but actually may lack genuine concern for the issues involved, I have little respect for them as well. Too many pundits that push their candidates with whatever, and they really don't care much about what it is, just so it sells, those folks are way low on my respect list. But, in the end, my guess is that it will be erected because the city itself has granted all the permits and since that is the law that prevails here, I can't see it being stopped. It may well become an accomplishment of technical correctness while it could at the same time end up being a hotbed of anti-American fervor going forward. Okay, that's it for today. You are now free to unbuckle your seatbelts and walk freely within the cabin where you are entitled to form and hold your very own opinions. We can still do that! What a blessing! Amen? Amen! ......More later.

No comments: