Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Speaking of fools: "The fool has said in his heart, 'There is no God.'" Psalm 14:1

 ****As most of you know, the wife has been recovering from some surgery to deal with gastroesophageal reflux disease. Part of that surgical process involves doing a wrap or tightening of the esophagus. They determined she should be able to handle a more aggressive tightening. She has not been able to tolerate or accommodate this approach, therefore, in the morning she will be undergoing another surgery to undo by 1/2 that tightening. I ask for your prayers as she, at this point, is pretty much spent, physically and emotionally. Thanks. ****
 
Hello and welcome. It's Wednesday, and yes, I am aware that it is April 1, 2015, therefore, I'm supposed to come up with some kind of prank because of it being April Fool's Day. I started to say that it should be made a national holiday in honor of the accomplishments of the current administration. They certainly have fulfilled the spirit of what the day is about. Now you do know I am kidding. Don't send me a petition to sign. I don't have much of a recollection of us doing much in the way of pranks on April 1st when I was a kid growing up. I know some people who look forward to this day and plan very elaborate ruses to trick their friends and family. While I enjoy a good laugh as well as anyone I just can't see going the hoax route to get one. There's a lot of theories about the origin of this day devoted to joking around. Some connect it to the 1582 change of the calendar by Pope Gregory, as in the Gregorian Calendar. Other historians tie it to particular festivals but it really began to be shaped into the prank or be pranked approach that we know it to be beginning in the 1700's in England. Here's a knock knock joke as my throw down in honor of the day: "Knock Knock! Who's There? Little Old Lady? Little Old Lady Who? I didn't know you could yodel."

I have seen folks duped on April fools day. Like the poor gullible fellow who came in to the office and was told that he was in a lot of trouble and was to report to the boss's office immediately only to find out the boss had not sent for him. I probably have fallen for some during my time here on the planet as well. I suppose that if doing those sorts of things float your boat, well, get on with it! Back when I ran a large organization my rule was that folks could enjoy themselves unless and until it became an issue. In other words, you can have your fun but if it ends up creating a problem that I have to answer for or solve, it will not end up being very funny at all. Sorry. No. I was not trying to be a spoilsport. It was like this, we did have a business to run and that was our number one priority, every day. That's just how I roll. I don't think anyone suffered too much or were any animals harmed during my tenure there. I have no idea what that means but I think you get my drift. And if you don't get my point I will be forced to give you the warning that Granny Mac always gave us about playing tricks on others. She told us more times than I could count about the girl who was tripped in class who became a lifelong cripple as a result. Don't make me come over there.

I don't think the name of the young girl was ever divulged and I don't know that I ever heard that story in my entire life except from my Granny. I can't be sure that it impacted my behavior but as you can tell, I still remember it. I think all parents have their own version of the 'walk through the deep snow' stories to try and impress particular values on their children. My boys can tell you the ones I shared with them. I know my mom used to tell us that if we didn't behave she would likely end up in Pineville. There were six of us kids. We could be about as rowdy and unruly as they come. Pineville was the nearest location of an insane asylum. We sure didn't want to see mom end up in Pineville but I'm not sure if that caused us to calm down. I do know what did. Those peach tree switches. About two to three feet long. With all kinds of tentacles on little branches reaching out in all directions. When she came back into the house with a handful of those little dudes, well, suddenly, a mysterious calm took hold. It was typically the eldest to the youngest which put me fourth in line. The waiting itself was pretty impactful. And, I can tell you, looking back, I am thankful she cared enough to want us learn how to behave. And, just so you know, I cannot recall ever tripping any young girls. See? Granny's story worked! Boys? I'll have to think that one over. Take care, enjoy your day, and may God bless each one. Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: