Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Did you know? "Our eyes are always the same size from birth, but our nose and ears never stop growing."

Good morning and welcome. We turn the page in the calendar book and find that it is Tuesday, April 21, 2015. Speaking of coffee, there's a recent study coming out of Japan that reports how that up to two cups of coffee before a 20 minute nap helps to amplify its positive results. I'm not so sure the hot, black and thick stuff that I drink would qualify for this test. I also read where it's not always best to brush immediately after eating. Some foods are quite acidic and they soften tooth enamel, therefore, when one brushes immediately it's like using wet sandpaper. Here's one I didn't know. A pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle, however, a pound of muscle takes up less space. This means someone who has more muscle can fit into smaller sized clothing than their counterpart even though they weigh the same. Here's one that's been around but it still kind of messes with my mind. Diet soda drinkers who are attempting to lose weight are failing miserably. A ten year study by the University of Texas found that, in fact, diet soda drinkers are 70% more likely to add to the circumference of their waistline than dieters who don't drink diet sodas. I'm not sure they know exactly why but most researchers find that diet soda drinkers take in more calories than those who abstain or even those who drink regular soda. More calories will get you every time. My grandfather must have been right: "Don't let your eyes be bigger than your stomach." And, 'Just push away from the table.'"

Slow news day? Not really. Speaking of news, I do have another pet peeve. I think we all know this Islamic State situation is mostly out of hand. They are wreaking havoc all over the Middle East and are also attempting to expand into other parts of the world. Here's today's peeve regarding this situation. When they do take new territory, bring mayhem to a community, overthrow a town or local government, I get weary of this Administration sending out a four star general to inform us of how the latest conquest is not that strategic and therefore we should not become too concerned about it. The next day we hear about a new video where Christians are openly beheaded for their faith. But, we shouldn't be overly concerned, because after all is said and done, those areas where they lived are not strategic. Sorry. But stuff like that just makes my heart sad. That quote from President Obama last year about how that ISIS was only junior varsity still haunts. Sadly, I think policy followed that line of thinking.

In the last five days we did get some rain. I think for our area it was at least five inches or more. One fellow reported their rain gauge indicated a total of eight inches. I'm sure it has something to do with global warming but I haven't yet heard exactly how. One thing is nice, the aftermath brought somewhat of a cool down. How do you like those apples? I do enjoy waking up to mid to low fifties as we move toward the April exit door. That along with some much lower humidity is both refreshing and welcome. Makes the Community taste even better, if that's possible. I typically sit here in the office with the door wide open on mornings like that but some think I let too many critters of the bug variety fly in during these open door meet and greets. After I swat a couple I typically do what any person would do. I get up and shut the door. Meanwhile, I do hope you are enjoying the weather, wherever you happen to be, along with a smoking hot cup of Community, and may God add His blessings to our day is my prayer. Amen.  ....More later.

No comments: