Thursday, April 16, 2015

"Worried about an IRS audit? Avoid what's called a red flag. That's something the IRS always looks for. For example, say you have some money left in your bank account after paying taxes. That's a red flag." (Jay Leno)

Hello once again. It is Thursday, April 16, 2015, and since taxes are still fresh on our minds I thought I would share something I heard the other day. The concept of teaching your child about taxes was one attributed to Bill Murray, the comedian. You go to the ice cream shop and buy the child some ice cream. Before you give the ice cream to the child you eat 50% of it. When you hand it over you tell them this is what's left after taxes. That would include all taxes, on average, Federal, State, Local, Gasoline, Various registrations, etc. When the joke was originally floated he used the 30% figure but I based the 50% from one of the tax freedom association's website. I do know that when young people begin working they are aghast when they see their take home pay. Suddenly they are brought face to face with a glimpse of their future. It's funny to hear them moaning about it because they have not seen anything yet. I'm not against paying taxes. We have to provide for the services required to function as a nation. As it relates to the amounts being collected and what much of it is used for? Now that is, in my opinion, an insatiable out of control monster that feeds upon itself and can never be satisfied. At any rate, enjoy your sample of ice cream and learn the lesson that comes with it.

No. I do not issue continuing educational credits. Don't write me. It was only a joke. Let me continue this theme: What’s the difference between a tax auditor and a rottweiler? A rottweiler eventually lets go. – anonymous ~ What is the difference between a taxidermist and a tax collector? The taxidermist takes only your skin. -- Mark Twain ~ If Patrick Henry thought that taxation without representation was bad, he should see how bad it is with representation.– Farmer’s Almanac ~ Why does a slight tax increase cost you two hundred dollars and a substantial tax cut save you thirty cents? – Peg Bracken ~ The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax. -Albert Einstein ~ The Gettysburg address is 269 words, the Declaration of Independence is 1,337 words, and the Bible is only 773,000 words. However, the tax law has grown from 11,400 words in 1913 to 4 million words today. ~ Hey, it's once a year so I might as well get it out of my system.

For those astute readers in my audience, yes, I am aware that the cartoon above with the man with the Bible is a caricature of Senator Ted Cruz, the fellow from Texas who is running for the Republican nomination for President. I am not a Ted Cruz follower or supporter. I do appreciate his conservative views and his willingness to stand up for them. I just wanted to make sure everyone knew that using the cartoon was not intended as an endorsement of any kind, except for the fact that the comparison depicted did reflect my point. Now that we have that cleared up I think I've done enough sharing on taxes for this year. I do know that we are blessed to live in the United States of America and as I have often said in the past, I am very thankful to be able to participate in the full range of opportunities that come with our citizenship, including the paying of taxes. We all can support our nation by continuing to seek God and His help. Amen.  ...More later.

No comments: