Tuesday, April 28, 2015

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." ~ Yogi Berra

Okay. It's Tuesday, April 28, 2015, and I am on duty. Have you ever wondered why some people can't get enough of one food while others can't even be in the same room where it is being served? This topic is of great interest in a variety of disciplines as people attempt to understand this drastic difference. They know that some of it has to do with smell. Some people can't stand the smell of a certain food. Past experiences can also trigger a response. Some research tends to indicate that genetics is obviously a part of what's going on. I read where some people could not eat raw tomatoes even if you put a gun to their head. I can eat a whole bag of them in one sitting. The widespread disdain for liver is well known. I enjoy beef liver smothered in onions occasionally but I would not want it on a regular basis. Celery. I'm just not into eating raw celery. I can eat it some when it is cooked in foods and I don't have a problem with celery salt but eating a stalk, well, you can have mine too. I love licorice but not in the rubbery form. I enjoy cinnamon in just about any form. My eldest son never saw anything saturated with cilantro that he didn't like. I don't care for its smell or taste. I do love me some fried chicken gizzards. I know many that do not even want to watch me eat them. There's any number of lists that are out on the web dealing with the foods most likely to be loved or hated. They typically include blue cheese, raw green peppers, and also coconut. I personally enjoy Brussell sprouts even if it is the subject of one of the legendary confrontations that unfolded at our dinner table. (It's commonly known as Rodney and the great Brussell sprouts caper. I think sprout in the singular would be a better description.)

I am not knocking those who try to eat healthy. I think that is a noble quest as long as it doesn't become an obsession. We were in Church many years ago with a lady who was a professional nutritionist. She was pretty much fanatical about it too. They had two boys about the same age of ours but when they came to play they brought their own food. You guessed it. It looked like something prepared to feed the rabbits in the cage. No. I am not poking fun. A number of years ago the wife and I attended a reunion at that particular Church. We saw those folks again. They are wonderful people. The husband is one of the finest men of God we have ever known but I can assure you he has not been on a rabbit diet anytime in the past ten years or so. One of the two boys showed up. He is a lawyer. He always was a brainiac. I would guess him to weigh at least 300 pounds. I've said all of that to say this. "It just goes to show you!" And, there you were, thinking I was going to say I told you so. But I didn't. What? You could probably come up with a story like that on me? Now just a cotton picking minute. You probably could but obviously that wasn't what I was writing about today. Got it? Good. And, thanks.

My wife is feeling good enough to begin cooking again. I came in the other evening and she was slaving over a hot stove. Well, that's way too much over the top but she did have a nice little meal going on. She had prepared some fried okra and field peas along with some hash browns to go with it. I buttered up some hot cornbread, loaded up my plate and enjoyed it in two ways. First, it was just downright delicious. Secondly, it was a source of great memory as I was able to think about all those who had prepared meals just like that for me as a kid growing up. And, maybe more than anything else, and this is just me, but I thought what a blessing to enjoy so much a simple meal like that. I didn't need the Food Channel's rating or any other accolades. It was just melt in your mouth yummy. No. I was not about to say it's about time. You don't think I would say anything like that about someone who is recovering from surgery. Do you? Thanks for tuning in today and may God add His blessings to us all is my prayer. Amen. ....More later. 

No comments: