Tuesday, April 14, 2015

"Forty is the old age of youth; fifty the youth of old age." ~ Victor Hugo, (1802-1885), recognized as one of France's greatest writers

Good Tuesday morning. I bring you greetings on this April 14, 2015. I am happy to report that dad's surgery went well and they anticipate him being released from the hospital in the next couple of days. Thanks for your prayers. I read about the 12 year old that beat over 11 million entrants in having the closest bracket for the NCAA men's basketball championship. He was too young to receive the high dollar prize. Last Friday evening I saw an 18 year old kid beat a bunch of veteran drivers in one of the NASCAR races. He went head to head with champion drivers and did not back down and he would not be denied. This past Sunday a 21 year old golfer won The Masters. Samuel Ullman, an American businessman, (1840-1924), had this interesting observation: "Youth is not a time of life; it is a state of mind; it is not a matter of rosy cheeks, red lips and supple knees; it is a matter of the will, quality of the imagination, a vigor of the emotions; it is the freshness of the deep springs of life." One is only as old as one thinks. Really? I would say that at this time in my life it would take one whale of a mind over matter event to deal with all these aches and pains. Until then, I will just settle for the rosy cheeks. They are likely due to blood pressure issues. But, one does have to start somewhere.


I must tell you that while much of that little ditty reflects the reality of how time has made a difference in how I function today, it in no way takes away from my sense of gratitude to God for the life I have had and the abilities I still have in terms of facing each day. It was somewhat of a tongue-in-cheek essay but that's not to say it doesn't in many ways represent my white haired perspective. The wife and I watch a lot of musical programming when we watch TV. We typically watch the kind of music we enjoy. The white hair is very well represented in the audiences of the programs we watch. We do notice it. I suppose it means we like the same kinds of programming that other people like who are in our age bracket. Don't get me wrong. We joke forth and back about the commercials featured on these programs. They do target a special segment of the population. We laugh at the ones that don't fit us. Yet. The others we look at each other and wonder whether we should check into them. We hardly ever do but talking about it helps pass the time as we rock our weary bones. That was way over the top but I think you get the meaning.

Let me get a swig of Geritol and I will try to finish for today. The MVP race in the NBA is really tight. I find this to be interesting because people in the respective cities represented take it all so personal. I understand that type of vicarious connection. However, think about it. Right now the local fan base in this area are all up in arms because they believe one of the local team members is deserving to win the MVP award. He may not win. This potential has people really agitated. Here's what's interesting. This fellow has no connections to this particular part of the world except for a current contract. That's all. He didn't grow up here. He didn't go to school here. He didn't play his college games here. In fact, he was traded from another NBA team. This assimilated family identity may be understandable but it really is hard to see why folks are so worked up over it. When this guy's contract is up he likely will be with another fan base who will then grab hold of him as their very own. I know the personal buy in and ownership on the part of the folks who buy the tickets is critical, but, when you think about it seriously it does reflect the strange world we operate in. What say you? Have a great day and may God bless each one. Amen.  ...More later.

No comments: