Thursday, April 23, 2015

Happy Birthday to my Sweetheart!

Today is Thursday, April 23, 2015. I pause to recognize the birthday of my wife, a woman of distinction who truly is a servant of the Lord. I told my class last Sunday that since her parents passed her to me at such a young age, surely I get some credit for helping to finish raising her. And, I added that looking back at her life, all I can say is I have done a very good job. That brought the intended good laugh but I will tell you this about that. My wife's parents did an excellent job in raising up their children. The four of them are recognized and respected folks in their communities. Our entire family on both sides have been through a lot of challenges in this long run that God has granted to us and I couldn't be more thankful for my own family and my family on my wife's side. My wife, as many of you know, is a remarkable woman and I thank God for her and ask Him to provide a special blessing on this day where we honor her. Happy Birthday Sweetheart, and, oh yeah, just in case you have forgotten: "Baby, you're still the greatest.!"

Let me see. We've been hanging around each other since 1962, and married since 1964. I started to say I rest my case but that would not be appropriate since our journey continues. This current health related challenge that she has been through and that she continues to struggle with, well, it certainly reminds us that we are not invincible. We started our lives together joyously as two love struck older teens and now we are doing our best to bring as much joy as we can as Santa and Mrs. Claus to little kids of all ages. It doesn't take a lot of make up these days to pull this off. That's quite a transition folks and I am so glad to have her by my side throughout all these years. We were told one time that our singing reminded a lady of Dale and Roy Rogers. If only I had learned to yodel. To ride a horse. To rope. To fight bad guys who wear black hats. Just think. Happy Trails could have been our song. Wait a minute. It is our song. Here's one of the verses:
  
Happy trails to you, until we meet again.
Happy trails to you, keep smilin' until then.
Who cares about the clouds when we're together?
Just sing a song and bring the sunny weather.


She does make our journey together an enjoyable one.


It's also a special family day as we recognize and celebrate our baby boy and his wife, Rodney and Mitzi, on their 16th wedding anniversary. We thank God for them and for the children God has blessed them with: Kyleigh, Lexie, and Brady. Happy Anniversary and may God continue to bless is our prayer. Amen. Love, mom and dad

As for my better half, well, that's my mushy quotient for today and it might be enough to cover me for several days going forward. She did take exception to what I wrote the other day about the two of 'us' snoozing so much in the repaired recliners. She asked me when I said 'we' if I had a mouse in my pocket. Those Louisiana girls, they can come up with some good ones, can't they? I mentioned to her that as I recall just this past Sunday afternoon that I had thrown out several comments to provide the basis for good husband and wife communications. However, what did I get in return? All quiet. I did hear a purring sound but I'm not sure if that was her or the ceiling fan. In other words: not a creature was stirring, and I suppose that included even the mouse in my pocket. She said that didn't count because she was feeling poorly. I'll accept that answer but only because it is her birthday. Take care folks and remember to be thankful for those that God has placed in your life. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: