Friday, April 10, 2015

"Texas wather forecast: Tomorrow will be sunny and 75 degrees with freezing rain and a foot of snow followed by record heat and icing conditions with a 95% chance that your guess is as good as mine." (copied)

Today is Friday, April 10, 2015. I am not a weather prophet but I remember distinctly telling the wife last week that we had better enjoy those lower temps that were flirting with the 40's because they may be the last for the season. Well, this week we are flirting with highs near 90. Already? The other night the humidity was dripping and the temps were uncomfortably warm. The wife's sister is here and she sleeps upstairs and when I adjusted the thermostat for the A/C guess what happened? Nothing. Zip. Nada. It had been running earlier but now not a peep. I went out to the garage and reset the breaker. Still nothing. I went outside and looked at the unit itself. (As if looking at it might do something.) I then called our middle son and asked him about it. He said he would come over. He recommended that I turn the breaker off for a few minutes and then turn it back on. I did. When I turned the breaker back on I heard the wife yell that it was running again. I quickly called our Jimmy and told him not to come. What a way to get the old blood pressure whacked out just before bedtime. It seems like it was just yesterday that we replaced that beast. But, in reality, it was actually back in 1994, therefore, we know the day is coming that it will have to be changed out. Again. In working with it I had set the thermostat on 70. I wouldn't dare change it after it started running. Bottom line: we did sleep nice and cool.

Never a dull moment? I think it pretty much works that way for everyone. I think this is where I get to use that word vicissitudes. As in dealing with the vicissitudes of life. It has this meaning: 'a change of circumstances or fortune, typically one that is unwelcome or unpleasant.' It and discombobulation are a couple of my favorites so I do try to fit them in when I can. That's not how you roll? Good. I noticed the other day that a friend on Facebook used the word roll in a posting. He was talking about being on a roll. He is an LSU grad. Many of his friends immediately seized upon his posting and asked that he remove it immediately because it included the word roll. Why? Alabama: Roll Tide. Words do have an impact folks and obviously that particular one was a trigger word. Silly? It may be to you and to me but the tone of those responding showed no hint that they were joking. This is why I do try to make sure I am not intentionally offensive in my word choices. What about the words I use in talking about the current administration? What about them? I call them like I see them and if the shoe fits they may get to go to the ball but I still get to have my say. This entire paragraph may meet the definition of discombobulation, therefore, I think I have accomplished my purpose. Thank you very much.

A couple of personal updates: 1) The wife continues to do well in her progress. We are convinced the surgical procedure is now functioning like it should have at the beginning. She continues to gain her strength back. 2) Dad has had a follow up on his recent bladder related issues and will be undergoing a surgical procedure next Monday. He has confidence in his doctor and we hope this will help deal with the problems he has been dealing with for some time. And, we can't stop being thankful to God for His help in these situations. He has shown Himself to us through the prayers and support of so many. We are humbled. Now we move on to Saturday and then to Lord's Day Sunday. I noticed a lot of new faces in the Resurrection Day services last week. Some were folks we know that have not attended in a long time and others were visiting. Resurrection Day has that impact on folks. I pray they will recognize that every Sunday is a day where we honor our Risen Savior. But, that's just me. Have a great one and Lord willing I'll see you next time. Amen.  ....More later.

No comments: