Wednesday, April 15, 2015

"It's a strange world of language in which skating on thin ice can get you into hot water." Franklin P. Jones, Journalist, (1908-1980)

Good morning and welcome. It is Wednesday, April 15, 2015. Don't worry. On Monday evening I electronically transferred my tax liability to the U. S. Treasury. It included a $31 penalty for not holding out enough during the year. I can live with that. And, as they say, that is surely close enough for government work. I suppose today could be called national tax day. Have you noticed, or is it just me, how many days are celebrated for different reasons? Facebook always has some type of recognition going on. You know. Like double first cousins who have a double chin day. ( I made that one up.) This week alone is filled up with days set aside for special recognition. National Scrabble Day; Thomas Jefferson Day; National Experience Week; National Banana Day; National Bookmobile Day; National Micro-volunteering Day (whatever that means); National Take a Wild Guess Day; and to coincide with tax day there's a National 'That Sucks' Day. Those are just this week. I can certainly appreciate the Thomas Jefferson remembrance. April is also Jazz Appreciation Month; Inventor's Month; Garden Month; Couple Appreciation Month; Decorating Month; Poetry Month; and lest we forget, it's also Straw Hat Month. Of course these do not include the ones that folks make up as they go like my double first cousins day, and, there are tons of them. You don't have to send me a greeting card for any of these and if you want to read more about this silly stuff you can look at the source I used: www.daysoftheyear.com

Charles Atlas (1893-1972)
What's that? You thought that I invented the 'take a wild guess' day? Thanks for the compliment. I think. I keep reminding you that we do live in some pretty weird times. You may not have read how that folks are now ordering up natural breast milk online. Guess who is buying a lot of this stuff? Bodybuilders. That's right. Ladies sell their milk and then these folks who think it will help accelerate the building of their muscles buy it. The experts are not clear on whether it really does help accomplish the intended purpose but it is popular among this market segment. Here's the funny part. Or, at least, it's funny to me. Recently they discovered that some purchased natural breast milk has been found to be contaminated. What was the ingredient found when tested? Cow's milk. Yikes. I say funny for those who think it will make them like Charles Atlas. (Dated reference, younger readers may have to look that one up.) However, I am aware there are moms who buy the natural breast milk because their babies have cow milk allergies, therefore, that does make it serious. I just thought the whole thing to be a sign of the times and that's why I wrote about it.

The Psalmist offered up a good way of embracing every single day on the calendar: "This is the day the Lord has made; We will rejoice and be glad in it." (Psalm 118:24) That inspired admonition supersedes those we might come up with. It's a great way to start out our day, to live out our day, and to end our day. I didn't say that it was easy to see it this way given some of the challenges faced in this life, but, it is the truth and we can be sure of it because we have God's Word on it. I mean, just think about it. If everyone was as motivated everyday as they are when they attempt to carry all the groceries in one trip, well, we could see some progress. Speaking of achievement we all have heard how there is no 'i' in team. However, there is an 'i' in win', 'achievement', 'prevail', 'triumph', 'first place', 'gold medalist' and 'champion'. I'm just messing around with those observations. Thanks for tuning in and may our Great God add His blessings to this day that He has made. Amen.  .....More later.

No comments: