Wednesday, January 21, 2015

"Writing is like driving at night in the fog. You can only see as far as your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way." ~ E. L. Doctorow, American Author

~ Thanks for praying for my mom. She is some better. She hopes to go home today but we will have to wait and see on that one. ~

Okay. We are up and going and a little weary from the dense fog. That stuff will make anyone nervous. Yesterday it was next to impossible and today it was that way in patches. It's an exercise in driving where I think the road might be. Every once in a while you get a glimpse of the dividing line but out on these dark country roads there's not always one to glimpse. Most folks do what one should do. Drive slowly. Most. Not all. I had one fellow riding my rear bumper and he was fit to be tied. Obviously he was in a hurry and for his sake I do hope he has better vision than me. Out here on the back roads you also have to keep in mind the wildlife because I'm not so sure they are that worried about the fog. When I turn in to the entrance here at the Company, well, it gives an opportunity to not only breathe a sigh of relief but also to thank God for helping me to make it safe, one more time. I started to say safe and sound but I knew the sound part would get into the state of mind issues and I thought it best to leave that one alone. How in the world are you doing on this Wednesday, January 21, 2015? I read some critical comments about the insurance company trying to recycle those camels again for their hump day advertising. Their original use of the 'what day is it?' was one of the most successful ever in terms of public awareness but some think they should have left it there because they see the new ones as not only being over the top but slightly annoying as well. It would probably help some if they didn't run them every 5 minutes, but, that's just my thought on the subject.

We've bought into the Frozen mania. We've contributed via buying dolls, a bed comforter, tennis shoes, figurines and other stuff as well. I suppose, at the same time, I am somewhat of an old fuddy-duddy because I do wonder if all this controlling preoccupation is altogether healthy. I do. I really do. That kind of thinking can get you into trouble. A young man was telling me how his little girl is absolutely devoted to the movie. She knows every detail of the dialogue and every note of every song. Old grandpa (me) interjected that this might border on mind control. That was not well received. I caught an earful. He even tried to say kids knowing all of this was no different than me learning songs at Church. What? You are kidding. Right? My wife tells me all the time that folks make their own decisions and I should always remember that it is none of my business. Sorry. But, I will tell you that a child who can sing Jesus Loves Me and the B-I-B-L-E will never be the same as knowing 'Let It Go'. And, I am unanimous in my own opinion on this subject. And, I don't need Paul Harvey as a voice over to tell you "Now you know the rest of the story."

After all, I was only making conversation. Folks are really sensitive when a comment is made about something they are engaged in. Myself included. Some might say my preoccupation with Community coffee is a little over the top. Do what? Others might think me enjoying old time radio is somewhat odd. You talking to me? I never really got involved in the hula hoop craze even though many in my family did. That should stand for something. Right? (In fairness, I don't think I could actually make the thing go round and round and best I can remember that was the point of the exercise.)  If I make it a few more years maybe people will see me as a friendly old commentator who has something to say about everything. Until then I will try to mind my own business but at the same time I am entitled to my opinions. Right? Oh, I see. You think I should mostly keep them to myself? Now that is something I will have to think about. While I am doing that, you have yourself a wonderful hump day Wednesday and look out for any talking camels as you go about your day. May God bless each one including that fellow who thinks learning songs in Church is the same as learning a Disney song. Sorry. I couldn't resist. May God bless. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: