Monday, January 26, 2015

"The reason gas prices are so high is because the oil is in Texas and Oklahoma and all the dipsticks are in Washington." ~ Yakov Smirnoff, Russian-American Comedian

Good Monday morning and welcome back as we do our best to deal with this January 26, 2015. Having spent most of my working years for an oil company, I am very sensitive to these large layoffs that are being announced by the energy based companies. I lived through or more aptly put, I survived the 1980's oil bust where the Houston area experienced what many called a depression. I well remember the day that my department of 150 was reduced by 25. Most of those who lost their jobs had years with our company. On the news sites where they report this current round of layoffs there are comments made by the readers. So many express happiness over the lower gasoline prices and some say some pretty hateful things about the energy related folks who are losing their jobs. I read one who was praising President Obama for finally sticking it to the oil companies. I know the President gets credit for things he has little influence over just like he gets blame for many things that are not his doing. It comes with the job. I read one who called these folks losing their jobs fat cats. One said they were prima-donnas. The worst called them bloodsuckers. One oil company person pointed out to the critics that these folks were their neighbors who paid their taxes and helped to build their communities. Having been there, it is something you never forget. Some of the folks we let go ended up suffering emotional problems that required treatment. Others went years before getting back on their feet. It's not something I would wish on anyone.

Our new pastor has moved into his new home in our area. We are so thankful they were able to find a home and now they have the task of getting everything set up the way they want it. Their stuff had been in storage in another town for several months. While the reason for doing the move is a good one, the process itself can be challenging. We know. We are still dealing with the aftermath of Hurricane Ike and that was over six years ago. We have some particular items that we have as of yet been able to find. We have looked. More than once. We were only out of our house for about three months while it was being repaired but we did have the big clean up and then we stored much of our stuff in one of those portable units. We also left quite a bit in the house. We hope the items we would like to find were not thrown out but that could have happened. Something like that can happen anytime someone moves. If you looked in my upstairs office you would likely think that what we are looking for is somewhere in that stuff stacked here, there, and everywhere, well, believe it or not, I've been through those stacks many times. But, we have not given up hope. In all our searching we also found a few things we had forgotten about. And, I suppose that is a positive thing.

I didn't see it coming. I knew that it would happen eventually but it still took me by surprise. Jeff Gordon has announced this will be his last season as a full-time competitor in the NASCAR championship series. Since he is the driver I started with nearly 15 years ago, well, it's somewhat an emotional hit when I think about him no longer being in the car every week. Our middle son was a long suffering Michael Waltrip fan and he was at the house, the race was on, and he kept telling me to pick a driver. That was the day I decided to follow Jeff. Jeff is the reason I watched the second race, on my own. I know. He's only 43 and he is a very wealthy man and has a lifetime deal with Hendricks Motor Sports. When he walks away he will have done 23 years of full-time racing at the highest level. That's not a bad run. He will certainly be a first ballot hall of fame inductee when he becomes eligible. Most people are calling him a class act. He's been pretty fun to watch over these past 15 years but I do wish him and his family the best as they make this transition. Now, here's what I would like to see happen for Jeff: Go out there and win your 5th Championship in your final season, and go out not just at the top of your game but also at the top of the sport. Sure. There's a large number of folks who will be doing their best to make sure he doesn't do that. Enough about that. Have yourself a good day and may God bless each one. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: