Friday, January 30, 2015

"I rant, therefore, I am." ~ Dennis Miller, TV Host and Comedian

Good Friday morning. January is on it's way out as I say hello to one and all on this 30th day of 2015. I've been storing up some rants. I don't won't to call them complaints, just statements of fact expressed with a slight grimace. I know what came first. The hype. I'm talking about the hype involving weather systems. You may have noticed how they are now naming winter storms. This most recent one up on the East coast was named Juno. Shutting down New York City is costly. Very costly. They currently estimate the cost to be in excess of 200 million dollars with most of that hitting small business owners and hourly employees.  Last time I checked, there's a huge difference between 6" of snow and 36" of snow. I agree with the be safe versus taking unnecessary risks, but there's a reason the meteorology folks have issued a formal apology. They got it wrong. Here's my theory: When you commercialize every aspect of weather reporting and I mean every single detail, you will get these types of blown up projections. Stay tuned. There's more to come later. You already know that weather hyping is one of my long term irritants. How about those 18 wheelers? I have nothing against the trucking industry or the drivers who are out there trying to make a living. But, folks, having those monster vehicles on every street, be they public, commercial, or residential, I'm telling you, that is a recipe for disaster. They are everywhere! I know. The drivers are trying to take whatever route they can to get to where they need to go as quickly as they can. I'm out and about quite often and I'm just a lay person when it comes to traffic and transportation issues, but, allowing folks to be surrounded by huge trucks in their own neighborhoods does not make sense to me. Period. And, best I can tell, it's on the increase. Those are a couple that came to mind. I do have more. I'll save them for another day.

I saw a chart in the Washington Post listing the deadliest jobs in America. It was put together based on the total number of deaths per 100,000 workers due to fatal on-the-job injuries. I was not surprised to read that logging is the number one deadliest work. Growing up in a rural area like I did there were plenty of reported mishaps involving those out in the woods each day harvesting trees. I saw a fellow a few weeks ago at our 50th High School reunion that started out in the pulpwood business. Back in the late 1960's I was home one weekend and I saw him and his brand new pulpwood truck. Brand new. A tree had fallen on the passenger side of the truck and smashed it nearly flat. He said he was fortunate not to have been in the cab. You think? I remember as a kid observing some of the men in our local Church who were crippled up because of injuries sustained in logging while others were missing fingers. My grandfather actually had his nose cut off once in a sawing incident while out cutting down trees. While waiting for a haircut one day I met the man who did it and he told me what was really impressive was how that my grandfather received no narcotics while Dr. Stephens sewed it back on. They then returned to the woods. That sounds just like my Paw Paw Mac.

Another week has come and gone. I know I've been all over the place this week. In fact, that Hank Snow country tune comes to mind. "I've been everywhere, man, I've been everywhere." Occasionally, I randomly choose a blog I wrote in the past. Back in May of 2010 I wrote one that had this title: "Please don't leave a salad for Santa, he already knows he has a weight problem." Weird? I thought so too. Sometimes when I read an old one I feel pretty good about it. But not always. There are times it makes we wonder what in the world I was thinking. I feel blessed because I have personal contact with many who read my stuff everyday. One fellow told me recently that he almost always finds something to chuckle about. Another lady indicated that she often comes away encouraged. When it comes to this faith journey we are on, it's like a wonderful old pastor friend of mine who used to say, "Remember we are all fellow strugglers." (The late Dr. C. H. McBryde, Pastor and devoted Church planter.) Strugglers is a good word even if my blogging spell checker doesn't like it. Webster said it was okay. It has to do with being strenuously engaged. The point is that life is a gift but it can be challenging. Therefore, you and I can help each other through our caring and sharing. In my case, every little bit helps. And, I thank you all for your support. With that, I bid you a most wonderful Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday and know that I will do my very best to see you right here at our meeting place come next Monday. May God bless. Amen. ...More later.

No comments: