Thursday, January 8, 2015

"Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore. We must be over the rainbow." Judy Garland as Dorothy in the film, 'The Wizard of Oz'

Today. It's a cold one, (29°, with a feels like of 21° as I write this morning), but I do offer a warm howdy do to each and everyone tuning in to today's broadcast. It's Thursday, January 8, 2015 and we've all been hearing about the cold and the 'P's', that is, taking care of people, pets, plants, and pipes. Are you enjoying the decrease in the cost of gasoline? Be careful my friend, be very careful. I heard a noted statistician talking about the correlation between lower gas prices and road fatalities. It's true! The lower the cost for fuel, the more people drive, and the more that people drive, it is the more who become involved in traffic fatalities. I also saw a headline on a London paper that got my attention. "Good News: Cancer Rates are Falling; Bad News for the National Health Service, People Require Treatment for Longer Time Periods." Perplexing stuff if you ask me. Way back when I remember thinking about the disconnect between doing all we can to extend lifetimes when it's apparent we cannot properly provide care for the elderly in our nation. How do we make sense of this upside down world? The only truth I can really count on is from the Lord, "Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight." (Proverbs 3:5-6)

I suppose we can be reassured by the fact that we have a new Congress now. No. I am not off my meds, and, while it is a joke of sorts, there's always a speck of a glimmer of hope when change occurs. Yet, in Washington D.C., maybe not so much. Yes. I am glad the Republicans are now in the majority in the House and the Senate. Yes. That's the way I voted. Yes. The political class, regardless of label, still calls the shots. The leadership. Same four tired faces. We had an election. The music played. When the music stopped the four sat down in different chairs, but it's still mostly more of the same. Don't write me with the I'm too much of the half-empty instead of the half-full point of view. I could handle that if we are talking about a glass of water. But, when it comes to our tax dollars at work, well, we have too much history to not see how the game is played. I do expect some loud voices. Maybe some wailing and gnashing. We may even see a veto or two. However, in the end, the political elite will have its say and they will continue to live, as we say back home, high off the hog, while us common ordinary citizens, well, we will mostly find ourselves once again scratching our heads and wondering what can be done to bring real change to our system. Since everything I write is more or less opinionated, I'll save the space by not adding a disclaimer here. You know the one I'm talking about. The views expressed here do not, etc., etc., etc.

One thing we can always be reminded of. The folks who see themselves as being in power do not have the last say. They, us, the entirety of this world, are under the sovereign control of the Creator God. The Old Testament Prophet Isaiah reminded his readers of this truth: "Remember the former things of old, For I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like Me, Declaring the end from the beginning, And from ancient times things that are not yet done, Saying, ‘My counsel shall stand, And I will do all My pleasure,’..." (Chapter 46:9-10) I find these truths to be of a comfort whenever I see a world seemingly out of control and bent on any and all things opposed to God and His ways. Another favorite verse of mine over the years that helps to put truth into a present perspective is the Psalm that tells us: "Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God." (20:7) We, as believers, do need to filter the all things that go on in and around us through the truths that God has given to us that will stand forever and ever, Amen. That should encourage us all as we go. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: