Thursday, January 29, 2015

Snoopy on love and romance: "You can't hurry love or pizza. Especially pizza."

Today is comic strip day here at the old blogger ranch. No. It's not an official holiday or anything like that. It's just a day where I find myself thinking about the comic strips I like and what that may or may not say about me. It sounded kind of interesting when I thought of it. Okay, that's what I have for you on this Thursday, January 29, 2015. The comic strip that I look at nearly every day is Dinette Set by Julie Larson. Occasionally, I like to look at a few others, just in passing. BC. Peanuts. And, Luann. (Please don't ask me why?) About once a week I also go through a compilation of all the most well known political cartoons. Most of them are drawn by very liberal folks but there are a few conservative representations. I took a little test that supposedly shows my Comic Strip character personality. I tried to answer each question honestly. I scored 100% on one particular character. I can't say that I am too happy about it. You guessed it. Charlie Brown, Peanuts. If that don't beat all! Poor Charlie. And, I suppose by association, poor me. Just thinking about it makes me break out in song: "Why is everybody picking on me?" (The Coasters, 1959) I would demand a recount but since it was self administered I'm not sure who to send my complaint to.

Most of you know that we are not pet people. We have nothing against pets. Our boys had different ones at different times when they were at home. We just don't have any and while we may mention what it would be like to have one from time to time, for the most part we really don't care to have any. This makes us a little different from the mainstream. I'm not sure what would happen to Facebook if all the photos and information about pets were to be suddenly removed. It would most likely evaporate. I read this week about a lady who has undertaken a bucket list tour of a lifetime. Not hers. It was for her dying 160 pound English Mastiff. The dog suffered from bone cancer and had a short time left. The lady carried him to the ocean and to other scenic places that she believed he would enjoy. She is thinking about writing a book to help others to cope with the loss of a beloved pet. I remember people who worked for me who had to miss work because of the death of a pet. Sorry. While I can appreciate the connection part, I have trouble identifying with this type of devotion. I can say that with no bad feelings towards pets, none at all. And, I do cringe a little when I see those signs that indicate you shouldn't trust anyone that doesn't love a dog, cat, or whatever. I sure hope folks don't feel that way about me.

I watched a number of video reports and listened to others and read quite a number of the testimonials from those who survived the Auschwitz Nazi Concentration Camp. Wednesday marked the 70th anniversary of the liberation of that facility at the end of WWII. Over one million Jews were executed or they died from deprivation, abuse, or illness at that one camp. Most of those who I heard talking were teenagers at the time they were deported and they are now in their mid eighties or older. They only survived because they were deemed able to work. Thousands upon thousands were not given a chance. They were marched straight from the trains that brought them there directly to the gas chambers. It is not possible to comprehend this wretched process dedicated to the annihilation of an entire race of people, the Jews. Unmentionable atrocities were the norm. My heart ached as I heard these survivors talking about their brothers, sisters, and their moms and dads who did not make it out. My eyes could not hold back the tears. Some say these death camps serve as a deterrent to would be tyrants today. Tell that to those who film the beheading of innocents in the name of their religion. I know some will consider this to be a downer but let me leave you with this final thought from the Apostle Paul concerning his people, the Jews. "I say then, Has God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the descendants of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin.." Paul goes on to say there is coming a day when the Jewish people will be renewed and redeemed. He, Jesus, is their only hope just like He is our only hope. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: