Friday, January 16, 2015

"Busch said Driscoll repeatedly asserted her assassin status and claimed the work took her on missions across Central and South America and Africa. He recounted a time they were in El Paso, Texas, when Driscoll left in camouflage gear only to return later wearing a trench coat over an evening gown covered with blood." Deposition by Kurt Busch, NASCAR Driver, regarding his girlfriend

Good morning class, and welcome. We find ourselves opening up today's session and discover it is being broadcast on Friday, January 16, 2015. As I started out at 3:30 a.m. this morning I wasn't that focused on the warm up of the weather as I sat waiting on the defroster to clear the ice on my windshield. But that's just me. Okay, here's the deal: Many people know that I am a NASCAR fan. I struggle with calling myself a fan but I do watch it when it is on when I can. Recently one of the top tier drivers has been embroiled in a problem involving a physical altercation with his girlfriend. The court documents reveal that he has testified that he believes his girlfriend to be a trained assassin who travels the world to kill targeted people. Bizarre? Yes! And, laughable also, but, this has not kept folks from piling on the sport itself. One conjectured that perhaps all those years of turning left has messed with this fellow's mind. Major sporting news outlets have also joined in the taunting. I never wanted to become a NASCAR fan. It happened about fifteen years ago when I was forced to choose someone as my favorite. I didn't know that much but I saw Dale Earnhardt Sr. talking smack about this clean cut fellow named Jeff Gordon. I chose Jeff and the rest is history. What's that? Is it true that I also watch the trucks, the mid-tier division, as well as the top level cup series? Yes. Yes. Yes. When I can. I would only remind everyone that one kook does not define an entire sport. If that's the basis then I could go into the other professional sports if forced to do so. Just a warning my friend, just a warning. By the way, the Daytona 500 is coming up in only 36 days, 17 hours, and 38 minutes, that is, at the time I wrote this. Just so you know.

Several weeks ago when our then 8 year old Brady killed his first deer it reminded me of my younger days as a hunter. I can't remember being allowed to go until I was probably 12. We certainly didn't have the gear and equipment that are in use today. I can remember shooting the first gun they let me use, the 16 gauge single shot. That old gun kicked like a mule and I would come home with bruises on my shoulder. Another thing I remembered way back then was reading a book by James Fenimore Cooper, 'The Deerslayer'. The book was written in 1841 and for some reason that book had an impact on me. I found it at the Gutenberg Website where it is free and I recently read it again. It took me several days of reading a chapter here and there. The main character initially named the Deerslayer reflects a man committed to his honesty and integrity, even to his hurt. Reading it again, I must admit there are parts of that book that actually made me look away for a minute and also some passages that brought a tear. I can only imagine what it must have done to me as a young fellow. I passed on the information to our Rodney but I'm not sure our Brady boy is ready for that yet. But, it is character building and I hope he will one day enjoy it like I did.

The Republican House has deleted funding from the Homeland Security Budget for the executive actions taken by the President. How it will ultimately turn out no one knows. This has to do with the President's unilateral orders, without the consent or participation of Congress, to implement his view of what should be done about the illegal immigration issue. Here's my problem. Those items are small potatoes in this more than 40 billion dollar budget. However, all the administration folks are saying our nation is at risk because of these changes. They are threatening every kind of calamity imaginable and saying that we may suffer the same kind of problem that we saw in Paris because of these budget changes. This, to me, is beyond the pale. Over 99% of the budget as requested will be approved. The changes reflect an effort by the Congress to reclaim the authority given to them in our U.S. Constitution. The dire warnings from people who know better border on the ridiculous. As I say, I do not know how it will all turn out but sometimes these games being played are enough to gag a maggot. I am sorry for the extreme, unpleasant word picture. With that cheery assessment I end our visits for this week and commend you to your Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday. May God bless each one and may God bless our nation. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: