Wednesday, January 28, 2015

“I'll just tell you what I remember because memory is as close as I've gotten to building my own time machine.” ― Samantha Hunt, Author of 'The Invention of Everything Else'

It's hard to get a handle on how fast time moves. You look away for a moment and then you look back and discover that it is already Wednesday, January 28, 2015. Lately I've been doing some time travel in my dreams at night. No thank you. I don't need the name of a good analyst. Not because I don't need one, but it is a little late for that. I think I get into that mode when I'm getting ready to start a new Bible study series. For several weeks I've been preparing to begin a verse by verse study of the Old Testament Book of Isaiah. When I am in that time travel mode I go back and talk to the characters I've been studying. They see me. I see them. I understand them and they understand me. I know. Hebrew or Aramaic is not my native tongue but when you are working this out in real time during dream time, well, those are hardly obstacles that cannot be overcome. Last night I decided to travel back to have a conversation with Abraham. He and I were sitting near the fire and enjoying some fellowship. He looked a little smaller than I would have thought. And, I can't give you all the particulars of the conversation but I did enjoy the visit. I know some likely think that stuff like that is pretty absurd and that I am perhaps a little off kilter. All I have to say about that is this: You don't know the half of it.

If you're thinking that you have always wondered about me, well, you are not alone. I've felt the same way for about as long as I can remember. The good news is that God loves me and He loves you, and He loves every person in the world. That's a universal truth. You know: "For God so loved the world." We may be as different as night and day but if we recognize God's love and respond to it, well, we become connected to each other as children of the living God. I was talking to my Bible study class last Sunday about what we will be finding as we study through the inspired writings of Isaiah. Simply put, there's a lot of God's response to His beloved people when they failed to honor Him and when they chose to live in a way that was not in keeping with His instructions. This meant chastisement which is seen in the people having to endure punishment, pain, and displacement. I know. That's not popular but the theme of Isaiah is God's Holiness. Today we mostly present a happy happy happy message and leave out the expectations that God has for His own. His unconditional love does not mean that He will allow His children to live in disobedience to Him. In fact, His love is why He will exercise parental correction, as the old preacher used to say, "Keep disobeying the Lord and He will warm the backside of your britches." Why? Because He wants what is best for you, for me, and for all those who are called by His name.

No. I don't have any sermon tapes or a 1-800 order line for other materials. I'm just sharing and when I do, be very aware that there's always a particular individual who is first in the receiving line. That's right. Me, myself, and I. You wouldn't be surprised to know that dealing with that one is a full time job. As they used to say back home, you have to get up early and stay late to have any hopes at all with that one. We read that Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord and I am so glad he did, and so thankful for God's grace in my life every single day. Speaking of memories, the other day we had some fellows sitting here in the shop office shooting the breeze about their mutual farm and ranch activities. It reminded me of the days back when I was a kid and I would sit and listen to the men talk around the wood stove at the hardware store. This new version included everything from raising corn to breeding cattle. It included lots of laughter especially in some of the trial and error stories. Not the kind of thing we hear very often in a sheet metal fabrication business but it was in many ways a good distraction that I did enjoy. What's that? You don't think it takes much for me? I sure hope that's true. Take care. Remember to remember to be thankful for all the blessings that God has given. Amen.     .....More later.

No comments: