Friday, January 23, 2015

“If you’re not cheating, you’re not trying hard enough.” — Former Chicago Cubs first basemen, Mark Grace

2007 Spy Scandal
It good of you to stop by today, on this Friday, January 23, 2015. My thinking is a little deflated at the moment. I'm talking about the fact that 11 of the 12 footballs used by the New England Patriots in their recent playoff game were found to be under-inflated by an average of 2 pounds each. That is a serious violation of the rules. That would mean the ball would be easier to throw and easier to catch. I don't know what explanation of how this happened will be made, however, it looks like, smells like, and most experts believe it's the cheating game, again. Remember the Patriots were caught using spy equipment a few years ago to capture the play calling from the sidelines of an opposing team. They were heavily fined and lost several draft choices. Interestingly enough, their opponent in the upcoming Superbowl, the Seahawks, are also known for pushing the limits of the rules. Their coach, Pete Carroll, is known to have the opinion that being aggressive on every play typically means that even if you violate a rule, the officials cannot call it on every single play. I heard a nationally syndicated sports guy saying that it is interesting how the two teams known for playing loose and fast with the rulebook are both winners, consistently. He indicated they were smart because its a business and winning is all that counts. Sorry, but I can't imagine this is the message we want to send to our kids who participate in organized sporting activities. Foul on every play because they can't call them all? I don't buy it, but then again I'm once again showing my fuddy-duddy side. What say you?

I listened to the President's State of the Union speech in its entirety. I caught the Republican response the next morning. Regardless of where one stands on the issues I recommend that everyone check out some of the recognized fact checking sources. They attempt to evaluate the truth worthiness of the statements made. Sometimes it comes down to what was not said or what was left out. It reminds me of that famous quote attributed to the late Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan, "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts." President Reagan reportedly had this one, "Facts are stubborn things." Of course it typically comes down to who one chooses to believe, or even more relevant, who one supports. When I am out and about I often listen to a talk radio station broadcasting the African American perspective. Talk about different views! On just about everything happening. Some of it I can at least appreciate how they come to their opinions. There are other issues that we would just have to agree to disagree. It does, however, help me to be informed.

I deal with people all the time who only listen to sources that agree with their particular view of the world. I don't think that is healthy. Many times they pontificate about things that have been proven to be untrue but they either heard it or read it on their chosen source. Anyone, including myself, can get hold of the wrong information. However, I think it important to do as much as we can to know the facts.  Even though I have my preferences and often voice my opinions, please note that I am always and forever thankful to be a citizen of the United States of America. The only thing better than that is to know that I am also a citizen of that heavenly land and one day I will dwell there. Until then, I need to get on with the life God has given to me. This has been a busy week with many activities planned for the upcoming weekend, therefore, I do bid you a wonderful Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday, and I will do my best, Lord willing, to show up again, come next Monday morning. May God bless us, one and all. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: