Thursday, January 22, 2015

"I guess I feel that I was following my instincts, and at the same time being guided by the best. I became totally intrigued with Louisiana - the people, the food. It is a part of my life. Everything that has happened for me since moving here has just been icing on the cake." ~ Emeril Lagasse, famous chef

 ~ My mom is now at home but still weak from her bought with pneumonia. Thanks so much for praying for her. She is so happy to be back home again. ~
 
Good Thursday morning to one and all and I bid you a hearty hello on this January 22, 2015. I've told you before about our relatives who are currently into their second year of an extended job stay in South Korea. It's our nephew, his wife and their three boys. These boys are Louisiana kids and have been raised out in the country, on the land, so to speak. You might remember that when their dad was here in our area for a business conference the boys actually went swimming in a pond on the golf course and caught them some turtles. These boys are tough. They are Louisiana tough. I should know. At one time I was very much like them because that's the way I grew up. This week they put up pictures of a special celebration they attended in South Korea. It was 35 degrees. Everyone was dressed warmly. The photo is of their 15 year old Connor. He went into the water and got himself a fish. Everyone else was dressed like Eskimos. I remember once when I was about his age how that I was dared by my buddies to go into the lake in January. I stripped down and went in. It was frigid but I came up out of that water and acted like it was warm. I invited them to join me. No takers. Way to go Connor. You do us proud.

I've been a little peeved at my little flashlight for the last several months. It just became ornery and undependable. I had to keep banging it on my leg to get it to stay on. I have to have it because of opening up our shop buildings in the dark. One day it went out just as I was coming through the door and I walked right into a huge skid that was up on tall supports. Yesterday I brought in some batteries and replaced them in my little flashlight. I now love my little flashlight. It just needed batteries to make it function right. That reminded me of the verse I tell people is my life verse: Psalm 119:105 "Your word is a lamp unto my feet And a light to my path." (I call it my life verse but I really believe we have a life Book not a life verse. Just me.) That verse is thought by some to reflect the shepherd coming down the side of the mountain in the dark. He would have a lamp tied to his leg and one held in his hand. The leg lamp was to help him see the next step while the lamp in his hand could cast some light on the direction he was going. Without the Word as our guide, we have no power, no vision, and no direction. We are just like my little flashlight. I have no idea if that makes any sense but if it does, get charged up today! Amen.

I've talked some about being absentminded and I thought I would share what is reported to be a true story. ~ An elderly lady did her shopping and, upon returning to her car, found four males in the act of leaving with her vehicle. She dropped her shopping bags and drew her handgun, proceeding to scream at them at the top of her voice, "I have a gun and I know how to use it! Get out of the car you scum bags!" The four men didn't wait for a second invitation but got out and ran like mad, whereupon the lady, somewhat shaken, proceeded to load her shopping bags into the back of the car and get into the driver's seat. She was so shaken that she could not get her key into the ignition. She tried and tried and then it dawned on her why. A few minutes later she found her own car parked four or five spaces farther down. She loaded her bags into her car and drove to the police station. The sergeant to whom she told the story nearly tore himself in two with laughter and pointed to the other end of the counter, where four pale white males were reporting a carjacking by a mad elderly woman described as white, less than 5' tall, glasses, and curly white hair carrying a large handgun. No charges were filed. ~ Enjoy your day and may God bless us all. Amen.  ....More later.

No comments: