Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Example of resolve: “To those waiting with bated breath for that favorite media catchphrase, the U-turn, I have only this to say, ‘You turn if you want; the lady’s not for turning.” ― Margaret Thatcher, 1925-2013, Baroness, Prime Minister, Great Britain

We did dispense with our first Monday back to work and now it is on with the rest of the week, the rest of the year, and the rest of our life, or a facsimile thereof. How in the world are you on this day, this Tuesday, January 6, 2015? I'm still sorting things out but for the most part it feels like things are more or less going like one would expect. I use the term hit-the-ground-running quite often but my effort at times is more of a hit the ground, you know, with a thud, so to speak. But, we are gaining some traction as we go and we are thankful to be able to go. And I will tell you, that having some cold/flu related symptoms over the past week or so, I am very happy to be up and going, period. Not that I ever quit, but I did consider it as an option more than once. You know what I'm talking about. Walk it off. Stay in the game. And, all of those other typically meaningless encouragements. My wife calls it stubbornness. Maybe she could upgrade that to tenacity and both of us would be less sensitive to its meaning. My eldest told me one day that he was feeling a little poorly during the holiday break but he determined not to let it cause him not to enjoy his time off. I get it. Determined not to not let. Makes perfect sense to me. That's a great summary of how we roll. Yes indeedee!

I am not being flippant about feeling poorly. Just sharing. Everyone has their own way of dealing with these little blips on the timeline of life. Enough about that. I know most folks are aware the Florida State football team lost their game against Oregon. That was their first loss in 29 attempts. Pretty impressive record. Right? They returned home and guess what they found? Their tires had been slashed and their cars had been keyed. I'll let you decide what you think about that, but, to me, it reflects this thug mentality that seems to be growing among so called fans as if you could call anyone a fan that would do something like that. There are reported instances of death threats being posted against players and coaches of teams that lose their games. It's really hard to even know how to think about the absurdity of things like that. I do think it gives us all something to think about. Pretty disturbing trend if you ask me. Disturbing indeed!

Lake Charles newspaper for the day we were married. It was a cold night!
One of the things I enjoyed most about our little get away trip was seeing the wife be so excited in the snow. That snow was like powder. She couldn't even make a snowball because it was so dry. She says the change in climate out in New Mexico did wonders for her aches and pains. I would have never figured her to be someone ready to go outside and play in the cold. But, that was her pattern on this trip. Her enjoyment of it all will always be my favorite memory from our trip. Slip sliding around on the ice will likely be a permanent part of my recurring nightmares, that is, if and when I decide to have any. I'm not planning any soon, I can tell you that. It was a funny thing that when we finally reached a spot in Texas where the outside temperature reached above freezing and we began to see water, actual water, standing on the side of the road, we were so happy. Relieved might be a better word. We were even okay with the increased humidity because it sure beat the icy conditions we had dealt with for so many miles. All in all, it was a wonderful trip. We ended the final leg of our journey last Saturday afternoon by visiting the wife's brother, our dear Brother Milton, who is now mostly retired and living in the same house (parsonage) (Anacoco, Louisiana), where we were married 50 years ago. We tried to figure out exactly where he stood to perform his first wedding ceremony and where we were standing in front of him. Next time we will try to do a recreation for a photo. That should be interesting as long as they don't ask me to wear the same sized suit. I know you know what I am talking about. Until next time, may God bless you all. Amen.  ....More later.

No comments: