Tuesday, January 20, 2015

"Middle age is when you go to bed at night and hope you feel better in the morning; old age is when you go to bed at night and hope you wake up in the morning." ~ Groucho Marx (1890 – 1977) comedian, actor & television host

 ~ Please whisper a prayer for my 90 year old mom. She is in the hospital in Louisiana with pneumonia. Also remember my dad as he sees after her. Thanks.~

Greetings to one and all. It's Tuesday, January 20, 2015, and I am so glad to report that the hangover I have been dealing with is beginning to be a thing of the past. No. I've not been on a drinking binge. I'm talking about this crud stuff that is going around. About the time you think you have it licked, well, here it comes again. The sniffles, the drainage, the coughing. It does have some staying power but I think I'm just about out of the woods after about four or five weeks. Have I ever heard of what? Doctors? You've been talking to the wife. Right? When folks ask what happened to my dad who died at such a young age I always tell them he died of stubbornness. He started out with flu and it turned into pneumonia and by the time he finally agreed to get help and they came with an ambulance to take him to the hospital he was in cardiac arrest due to the build up of fluid. Stubbornness. Maybe it's inherited. You know. It's in my DNA. You do know I am joking. If I felt I needed medical attention I would get it. And, I do have my regular diabetic check-up coming up in February so I will take care of any residual issues at that time. Meanwhile, the Community is tasting mighty good and the way I see it the rest of it can be dealt with. You do know what I mean. Right Vern?

I've been thinking about thinking about when I might begin to consider an upgrade to an I-phone. The other day when we were in that mega sized medical waiting room I noticed a whole bunch of older folks going to town on their smart phones. Pretty impressive. They were texting forth and back or playing games or checking their email or Facebook. Their fingers were flying over those screens. It does get tiresome when folks tell me that I didn't get the message because I don't do texting. I know they are not attempting to be condescending but I get the idea they think I prefer communicating with smoke signals or something. I do hear a lot of war stories about people losing data and not being able to get their smart phone to do what it is supposed to do. I know one fellow who has the latest and greatest but he spends quite a lot of his time dealing with the technical support folks about issues he has with his super duper intelligent phone. It is something to think about. Meanwhile, call me if you need to get in touch. Maybe we could also do an old fashioned version of information exchange. You know. The original meaning of the word chat.

I notice the wife gets a big kick out of my little mess ups. The other day I left the house but I noticed that things didn't seem right. Everything was fuzzy. I had forgotten my glasses. I did have glasses on. It was the HD night vision that I wear on top of my regular glasses. Technically, I had glasses on but the funny thing to me was how I kept trying to clear the windshield. I returned to the house. When I turned the alarm system off I heard her sweet voice, "Hello?" When I communicated the purpose of my return, you would have thought she was watching a Red Skelton sketch. Too much out loud if you ask me. How many times have I told you that you cannot make this stuff up? I pity folks who never learn to see the humor in their own personal everyday life. I even thought that maybe I needed to get out of the car and wipe down the windshield. Oh well, we got the problem fixed and I gave the wife a huge reason to laugh at 3:45 a.m. I think I am beginning to be trapped in one senior moment after another. Those HD night vision glasses are good but they cannot improve on your vision if you can only see clearly for 18 inches. My grandfather always said, "Son, you might as well laugh as to cry." He was right about so many things. Have a great day, find something to smile about, and may God add His blessings to us all. Amen. ...More later.

No comments: