Thursday, October 9, 2014

"Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away." James 4:14, (New American Standard Bible)

It's October and many folks throughout our land are beginning to begin to think about fall. We've been doing a pretty good job around here of keeping our temps high enough so that we are still mostly working on our summer heat hang over. We've got humidity dripping here, there, and everywhere. There's been a tease or two of some slightly cooler weather and we are thankful for any relief we get. They tell us that maybe a couple more of those temporary changes are pending before we actually get a true taste of a legitimate cool down. For us, it could be near the end of this month before we get the first minimum down payment on winter. But, all of that is something we can do so very little about, but it doesn't keep me from talking about it on this Thursday, October 9, 2014. This past Monday we had somewhat of a freak severe thunderstorm roll through our area. Some of the wind gusts became pretty ferocious. A fellow not many miles from where we live was driving down a roadway when a tree turned loose and fell on his SUV. He was killed. I don't know about you but things like that do tend to get my attention. Without an engineering diagram we all know that he had to be in exactly the wrong place at the right time for this encounter. Many people said it just goes to show you that when it is your time, well, you will go. I've probably said that a few times myself. I suppose more importantly it's another reminder of just how fragile life is and that it calls out for us to make full use of the time we have, you know, like the one we are working on now, today!

I wanted to let you know that I did figure out how to set the date on my watch. I nearly wore Google out before I found information on the exact watch I have, but, I finally did and it gave specific instructions on how to cause the calendar indicator to move. I'll not bore you with the details but I will say that I could have been twisting knobs until the cows came home and still not achieved the outcome I was desiring. There's nothing like having the correct information to work with. You know. Checking the instructional manual. The other day a preacher challenged us all to consider the purpose of our life as individuals. Many may have thought of that song that pleads One Day At a Time, but, that's not what he was talking about. He was reminding us all that we need to pursue the life that God has given to us and the purpose He has placed within us. How do we find our purpose? We might be able to Google it but the truth is best discovered as we seek to know it from His Holy Word. Hopefully, we all are aware that God has something for us to do each day and it, in one way or another, involves bringing honor to His name as we do our best with His help to make a difference for time and eternity in the lives of others. Once we fix upon our purpose we then can examine our actions to see if what we are doing is helping us to make progress each day in its pursuit. Finding and focusing on our purpose is not for the fainthearted but it is a rewarding matter to consider, dwell on, and seek God's leadership and help as we go forward.

I do know that any of us can become weary in whatever we are pursuing. If we are not careful, serving the Lord can become routine as we find ourselves mostly going through the motions. We can end up keeping a schedule as opposed to pursuing God's purpose in whatever activities we participate in. This is even more so when we are very plugged in and involved. That would be me. That would be us. I thought about my teaching of the Bible. What is the purpose of my teaching? To be on time? To be prepared? While those are important they should only serve the desired outcome. Simply stated, the outcome we all need is to be changed by the power of God as He speaks and moves through the hearing of His Word. That kind of emphasis could get lost if I am not careful in focusing on change as an outcome, and if I fail to pray over it as I prepare, and if I am not ready to be changed myself as I seek to influence others. Okay. Don't get nervous. I did not attach an electronic envelope for you to send in an offering after today's sermon, but, suffice it to say, we all can become more effective as we understand our purpose and actually work to achieve it. Thanks for tuning to today's broadcast. I don't have a clue what might be coming tomorrow. I suppose we will all find out together. May God bless each one is my prayer. Amen.  ....More later.

No comments: