Monday, October 6, 2014

"The goal as a company is to have customer service that is not just the best but legendary." ~ Sam Walton, Founder of Wal-Mart

Greetings folks and welcome back to the morning round up of all the news that is fit to write about, or at least, from my way of seeing it. It is Monday, October 6, 2014, and I do hope you are off to a good start. I read something on the Facebook page from a little Louisiana town near where I was brought up. It reminded me of a phrase from that well known children's Sunday School song: "Oh be careful little mouth what you say for there's a Father up above looking down in love, Oh be careful little mouth what you say." There was an incident where a very elderly gentleman had a dispute at the customer service desk at the big box store. One of the store managers went ballistic on the old dude who was riding one of those motorized carts. She railed and railed and ordered him out of the store. He attempted to talk to her but she told him to get out. Then the big manager came over and I suppose he had to back up the out of control lady manager so he also told the man to leave. Meanwhile, they didn't know that someone was using their little smart phone to video the entire episode. It has now gone viral, as they say, over in that part of the world. The lady manager has been fired and many complaints are being posted about the way that particular store operates. Based on my reading of some of the comments, the firings may not be over. Oh be careful little mouth.... and a lesson to us all: Oh How True!

This time of year always reminds me of my growing up days. We would have had most of the wood cut for the winter by now. I hated doing that in August and September but it sure was wonderful to back up to that blazing fireplace on an icy day in January. When I was doing a lot of formal planning to support huge projects I often used my grandfather as an example. His objective was that we all would be able to enjoy the warmth of the fireplace and all that came with it. In order to make that a reality we had to get the wood to burn in the fireplace. In order to get the wood we had to make the appropriate preparations. He always made sure we had everything we needed for the day out in the woods, before we left. You know. Making a list and checking it twice. In his case, he didn't have to write it down but I can assure you he had his mental checklist. Get the truck ready. Get the axes and saws ready. Identify the area where we would be cutting so that someone would know where we were in case something happened. No cell phones in those days. Oh yeah. I certainly haven't forgotten how hard the work was and how many times he told me to quit leaning on the crosscut saw. He would say, "Don't lean on the saw, I didn't eat your breakfast." When I would be breathing heavy from the strain, he would tell me, "Son, let me do the grunting, you just keep that saw moving." Good planning. Outcomes achieved. Good times. Blessed memories.

Some might say I am becoming a hopeless sentimentalist. I suppose I would only argue the word becoming. I think I've always been wired up that way but it is true that it shows more as I pursue the autumn of my life. Speaking of being moved by memories and words, I recently read this farewell from a mom to her son and it brought tears to my eyes. He died suddenly and was beloved by so many. I just happened to read what she wrote back to those offering their condolences. ~ Thank you for all the kind words, the texts, the phone calls, for stopping by, for providing food, for listening, for being the shoulder and the ear, for the concern but for most of all for showing our family that a community will always pull together in good times and in bad. Our hearts are crushed knowing that our boy will never walk through our door again, or hug us, or leave his laundry on the floor or wrappers from his midnight snack under his comforter or forget to set the alarm when he goes to bed. God gave us our precious Tyler for 22 years...we are blessed beyond belief that we made so many memories. His Masterpiece - his daughter Emilea that will forever keep him alive. I know when he got to those pearly gates and God asked him if he loved him...he said YES! He never made it skydiving but I know he is soaring high with his new wings... I love you forever Tyler Logan and my heart will never replace that quarter that you took to Heaven with you. Goodnight sweet boy...your Mother loves you..." I pray for her, the family, and for all who mourn this loss. I've always said there's not anything earthly that I know of more special than a mom's love. Have a great day and may God add His blessings to it. Amen.  ....More later.

No comments: