Tuesday, October 7, 2014

"Money has never made man happy, nor will it, there is nothing in its nature to produce happiness. The more of it one has the more one wants." ~ Benjamin Franklin

We are seeking to move on with whatever it is that we have on our plate today, here on this Tuesday, October 7, 2014. Isn't it interesting how we as a people like to live in denial as it relates to hard cold facts? A recent finding by the National Endowment for Financial Education reported that 70% of those who come into sudden money are broke within a few years. I suppose we all would like to think we would be in the 30%, but, the study offers some reasons why the overwhelming majority squander their windfall. One of the major findings had to do with the immediate response of the recipient. They often have been accustomed to operating with limitations on their spending ability. Suddenly, those limitations no longer apply and they begin to spend without controls or measuring the longer term impact. I see people all the time posting a prayer that says "Lord, please let me show you that I can handle the money by letting me win the lottery." I know they are joking but lottery winners are included in this group of those who become suddenly wealthy. Being broke within a few years typically is only one part of the negative impacts experienced. Family breakups and emotional heartaches associated among lottery winners are well researched and reported. Here's what Solomon said: Ecclesiastes 5:10 "Whoever loves money never has money enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with his income. This too is meaningless." (New American Standard Bible)

The wife and I were able yesterday to make a one day turnaround to DeRidder, Louisiana to be with dad for some minor surgery. We didn't tell them we were coming but it was great to be at the hospital waiting for them when they arrived. He did great and was able to go home yesterday afternoon. Now the hard part. Having him to take it easy for a few days. I made sure the doctor emphasized this recovery regimen so dad would know. I can remember when a 400 mile turnaround trip like that was like skipping down a well worn path. I think well worn now defines yours truly. We actually got back in time for me to attend a special meeting at the Church so we have much to be thankful for. Plus, the wife was particularly chatty as we returned. She was talking more to me than normal. Could it be that she found out I was sleepy? She is not fond of me touching those little bumpy thingies that warn of you being out of your lane. They make that loud rub board sound. We do thank God that dad came through the surgery with flying colors and pray that he and mom would continue in good health. Amen.

Mom and dad were driven to the hospital by a neighbor friend who also pastors a Church. He and I had a long visit where we pretty much dealt with all the pending theological matters of the day. Those folks in the waiting room may not have enjoyed it as much as we did. I want to thank Stephanie, our sister-in-law, and mom and dad's daughter in law for being there to minister to mom and dad. She has a sweet spirit and loves helping mom and dad. We enjoyed our time spent with her as well. I told one of the nurses there that it was obvious to me that all the staff at the hospital must have graduated from friendly school. It was noticeable to us. From the time we came through the front door until the time we left. Everyone there were so cordial and nice. My wife said something about it being that small town attitude. It was noticeable. But, times change. As we made our way back, driving down a country road I saw a very elderly lady walking out to her mail box. She was walking very slowly but her age was not the reason. She had her smart phone in her hand and was looking down at it as she walked. Is this a great country or what? Thanks to those who prayed for dad and for us as we traveled forth and back. May God bless each one is my prayer. Amen.  ....More later.

No comments: