Monday, October 13, 2014

"The harder I work, the luckier I get." ~ Samuel Goldwyn

Welcome back friends and neighbors. It's Monday, October 13, 2014 and I do hope you are well. Sometimes we just don't feel like jumping for joy. We don't always 'feel like' getting on with it. However, we've learned in life that perseverance is not only a virtue, it's also a requirement. Some in the younger generations tend to exhibit a fairly low tolerance for problems and inconveniences. It doesn't take much for them to 'feel like' they are unable to make it to work, or to keep their commitments. I'm not knocking them because when it comes down to it they are our collective offspring. I do hear many who own businesses talking about the steady decline in a strong work ethic as they attempt to find ways of taking care of their customers. We all are put together based on many different factors. I grew up in a family that had strong and compelling examples of those who did their best in the jobs they were blessed to have. Therefore, I suppose my work ethic was more or less poured into me, or caught, rather than being taught. I know there could have been more balance in my own approach to work, but, I also know there's a price to be paid when commitment no longer matters. I've been in the workforce for more than 50 years so I think I at least have some credibility in my observations. Some. Maybe a little.

I've never played Candy Crush. Never. I've observed a few million other people playing it as I have traversed the highways and byways of life. The commercial of that lady crushing the candy pieces with a hammer makes my wife laugh out loud. As in, you know, LOL. She is a Candy Crush player and seeing that lady being so clueless about the game is funny to her. Then there's the one where the older woman has Facebook a little misunderstood. She has made her wall on a real wall in her home. There she has posted real photographs. When her friend tells her something she doesn't like, the lady with the real wall tells her that she now officially un-friends her. It's funny because most of us know that is not how it works and that's the attention grabber they are looking for. It reminds me that we can really misunderstand some things to the point that we operate based on bogus information. There's so many of us who play the game of life by rules that come from sources other than the only one that is authoritative and true. That would be the Holy Bible. Neglecting to do life God's way always ends up with a wrong outcome. Here's a disclaimer: I have no idea if any of this paragraph makes sense but it's all I could come up with at the moment. Thanks for being patient. It's so much better than being a patient.

You can tell it's a Monday? Me too. I received a Facebook message the other day from a fellow I grew up with. He was inquiring about whether I was going to show up for our 50th high school reunion coming up in November. I replied that we were going to try. I remember climbing trees with that fellow. We camped out together, fished and hunted together. We had one major area of disagreement. He was Southern Baptist and I was Independent Baptist. I don't think we ever came to blows over it. Maybe something else, but not that one. After high school he moved to Alabama. I saw him and his wife at the 20th reunion, the only one I've attended. Even at that one, it was the first I had seen him in probably 15 years. I haven't seen him since and only this year we have started talking via Facebook. Someone posted this assessment after they had attended this type of reunion: "All my schoolmates looked so old, wrinkled, and gray, plus their eyesight was so bad they didn't even recognize me." I can tell from my old school friend's Facebook postings that he is strong in his faith in God. That is good to know. While I admire people who have stayed in touch with the folks they grew up with, that would not be me. I occasionally see someone when I visit mom and dad but that is pretty rare. Maybe we can fix that at this upcoming milestone reunion. Now it is time for us all to get out there and enjoy our day and may God add His blessings to it. Amen.  ....More later.

No comments: