Wednesday, October 15, 2014

"The storm starts when the drops start dropping. When the drops stop dropping then the storm starts stopping.” ~ Dr Seuss

Good morning class. Time to get on with our lesson for today. Today we will be talking about the benefits of cooler weather. Just joking. During this very modest cool down I did get a morning fasted blood sugar reading of 90 which is pretty rare for me. See what I mean? I tried to think about what I did and didn't do to prompt this reading but couldn't for the life of me come up with anything other than the cooler temperatures. I'll take it and the weather. That's what I was pondering as we attempt to get ourselves ready for this brand new day and it just happens to be Wednesday, October 15, 2014. Even though I am thankful to have my diabetes fairly well controlled, I still am drawn to news reports, articles, and even commercials that promise great breakthrough types of improvement. I will confess that I do not pay as much attention to many of the others being hyped. That, I suppose, is how it works. Whatever it is that is on my front burner will be the one I'm the most focused on. Sadly, there's a whole lot of hawking of remedies that end up being mostly illusive potential outcomes. I already know what my doctor thinks. He tells me that what we are doing is working and it is based on proven therapies and it is cost effective. Interpretation: "I'll let you know when we need to make some changes in your treatment regimen." I do have tremendous confidence in him but I will continue to stay informed. You know. The Ronald Reagan philosophy: "Trust, but verify."

I knew this was going to happen. I just knew it. One of the anointed brain trust writers at the New York Times came out with an article explaining why President Obama's low approval ratings are different than the low ratings of his predecessors. I knew it. When I saw that article I said to myself, "Son, I told you this was going to happen!" His assessment would have us believe that President Obama's low numbers are because of the amount of deep seated animosity being constantly whipped up by those who oppose him. (I suppose that's not what contributed to the low numbers of President George W. Bush. Right?) Also, the fact that many don't realize how well we are doing. They think they are still in the ditch but they are not smart enough to know better. He contends that these low numbers have little to do with the President's accomplishments and effectiveness. Further, he proposes that we should seriously consider no longer paying attention to these ratings since they do not accurately portray reality. Instead of being laughed off the stage, he is actually making the rounds of all the in-the-tank liberal news outlets where he is encouraged to espouse this profound way of interpreting why less than 40% of folks believe the President is doing a good job. My final word to myself: "Son, I told you this was going to happen!"

Sorry. But I just can't help sharing when I have one of those "Aha!" moments. Since we do anticipate that we will eventually be dealing with the season aka winter, here's a little funny I found in my perusing here, there, and everywhere. It was not attributed. ~ A tribe of Indians go to their chief in the fall and ask if it's going to be a cold winter. Not really knowing what the winter will be like the chief tells his people "Yes it will be a cold winter, you should start gathering fire wood." Then the chief called the National Weather Service and asked "Will it be a cold winter?" The technician at the national weather service said, "Yes it will be a cold winter." The chief becomes alarmed, goes back and tells his followers he thinks it will be a very cold winter and that they should gather every piece of firewood they can find. When they had gathered all the firewood around the chief called the weather service again and asked "Are you really sure it's going to be a cold winter?" The fellow said excitedly, "Are you kidding? Yes, it's going to be a very very cold winter... you should see the Indians, they're gathering firewood like crazy. ~ That will have to do for today. Take care. May God bless. Amen. See you next time.   .....More later.

No comments: