Thursday, October 2, 2014

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." ~ Will Rogers

Welcome to another day here at the ole blogger ranch. It's Thursday, October 2, 2014, and I do hope that you are doing well. I'm sitting here waiting. Waiting for the next weather front to come through. Supposedly we will have some overnight lows near 50. I vote yes but I'm not holding my breath. Speaking of voting, I did watch the two televised candidate debates for Texas Governor and I caught some of the one debate between those running for Texas Lieutenant Governor. I suppose since I hail from Louisiana I can spot good mudslinging pretty easily. I can assure you the quantity of mud was not lacking. It typically is the case where the one trailing does their best to try and tear down the one who is leading. Debates give them the best opportunity to make this happen. It's kind of like watching mud wrestling. The one leading tries their best to not do anything stupid. Most folks don't bother to watch. I offered to go upstairs to watch it because I knew the wife didn't care to. She, instead, told me to watch it there and she would go up and watch NCIS New Orleans in her office. There were plenty of times when I was tempted to change the channel, but, I persevered. I didn't learn anything new. No huge fireworks. Just mud and more mud. Bottom line, it didn't change my mind but at least I am now up to date on the current theatrics and soundbites being employed.

If very few watch why do they do them? The candidates who are behind are hoping for a gotcha or a headline that will get reported as the pundits weigh in on newscasts and on the web and newspapers. But, it is our form of government and I try to participate as best I can. I do so, hopefully, with my eyes wide open because I realize there's usually enough dirt to go around, on all sides. The combination of money, power, and politics will always dominate. That's the way it works. An official slogan from the Presidential election of 1876 read like this: "Of The Two Evils -- Choose The Least". That certainly was not the first time this sentiment existed but it has come to define much of our political process at all levels. As one writer put it, choosing the lesser of two evils is still in the end choosing evil. I've wrestled with that over the years. I've written in candidates because of my convictions and in doing so I've been accused of wasting my vote. It is perplexing but it's our system and when one votes their beliefs, hopes, dreams, and aspirations grounded in their conscience, well, that never produces a wasted vote. Regardless of the outcome. You can quote me on that one because it's the truth, period, end of story.

You can be seated now. Just joking. Here's a story that was listed as an oldie but a goodie: ~ A woman and a man are involved in a car accident on a snowy, cold Monday morning; it's a bad one. Both of their cars are totally demolished, but amazingly neither of them is hurt. God works in mysterious ways. After they crawl out of their cars, the man is yelling about women drivers. The woman says, 'So, you're a man. That's interesting. I'm a woman. Wow, just look at our cars! There's nothing left, but we're unhurt. This must be a sign from God that we should be friends and live in peace for the rest of our days.' Flattered, the man replies, 'Oh yes, I agree completely, this must be a sign from God! But you're still at fault...women shouldn't be allowed to drive.' The woman continues, 'And look at this, here's another miracle. My car is completely demolished but this bottle of wine didn't break. Surely God wants us to drink this wine and celebrate our good fortune. She hands the bottle to the man. The man nods his head in agreement, opens it and drinks half the bottle and then hands it back to the woman. The woman takes the bottle, puts the cap back on and hands it back to the man. The man asks, 'Aren't you having any?' The woman replies, 'No. I think I'll just wait for the police...' ~ Have yourself a most wonderful rest of this day and may God bless each one is my prayer. Amen.  ....More later.

No comments: