Friday, October 31, 2014

“The road to health is paved with good intestines!” ― Sherry A. Rogers, Medical Doctor and Author

"Thanks for waiting. The doctor will see you now." (My caption)
Good morning and welcome. Today is Friday, and yes, it is Halloween, and it's also October 31, 2014. I think that's how it works out every year. I know what many people would like to know. What do older folks spend a lot of time thinking about? We couldn't not think about health care even if we tried. Some of you know what I'm talking about. Nearly every day our mail box is about to tilt completely over from another round of information about Medicare enrollment plans. I thought they were trying to save the planet by not printing so much paper. One would think the postal service would not be so bad off having this much stuff to deliver. But, health care is a huge issue and the older you get the more important it becomes. While it is a natural part of the aging process, I can assure you there are those who are in it to gain financially, therefore, it will stay as a front burner item. Here's a little story posted by someone on Facebook that I thought was pretty good. ~ A sweet grandmother telephoned the big hospital. She timidly asked, "Is it possible to speak to someone who can tell me how a patient is doing?" The operator said, "I'll be glad to help, dear. What's the name and room number of the patient?" The grandmother in her weak, trembling voice said, Norma Findlay, Room 302." The operator replied, "Let me put you on hold while I check with the nurse's station for that room." After a few minutes, the operator returned to the phone and said, "I have good news. Her nurse just told me that Norma is doing well. Her blood pressure is fine; her blood work just came back normal and her physician, Dr. Cohen, has scheduled her to be discharged tomorrow." The grandmother said, "Thank you. That's wonderful. I was so worried. God bless you for the good news." The operator replied, "You're more than welcome. Is Norma your daughter?" The grandmother said, "No, I'm Norma Findlay in Room 302. No one tells me anything!" ~

Picking up that thread about not being excited yet about getting started to get ready to be ready to be Santa, well, I was visiting with our Fedex guy and he almost started trembling just thinking about the upcoming holiday season. It will be extended days into the night for the duration for people in his business. It's easy to say that it comes with the territory but as he put it, no one ever can get ready for the stressful calamities that tends to drive everyone crazy during those four to six weeks. I felt a little better about it after visiting with him but I do hate that he was still mumbling to himself when he walked away. I don't believe he was singing a Christmas carol. That reminds me. Time to listen to some Christmas songs. That should help me get ready. The good news is there are a number of internet stations that play yuletide songs 24 hours a day, all year long. I bet they get tired. It's only a joke so please don't send me any explanations for how they are able to do it. The site I am listening to now has just about every genre imaginable. You like some Celtic, there have a channel dedicated to that. What about sacred tunes? Got it. The all time standards by the likes of Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin are there. How about the tunes from the Peanuts Christmas specials? Got it too. Blues, jazz, Reggae, big band, classical, you name it, you can listen your heart away. I have the Rudolph channel on at the moment but the one currently playing is a rock guitar version. I'm glad Gene Autry is not around to hear this one. It may not do the trick. I know. Change the channel! Hey, I'm at least working on it.

I watched the Presidential news event this past Wednesday afternoon called to address the Ebola threat. It was the President with a group of healthcare professionals standing behind him. It reminded me of that time when the President was hawking the new health care law and he had about 25 people behind him all wearing white coats. The white out - white coat optics was thought to be an overkill and it was also called pretty lame by many commentators. We later learned that the folks did not bring their own white coats, they were furnished at the event by the administration. No wonder some of them were obviously not the right size. However, at the Ebola conference there were only two in white coats and they were worn by two fellows who looked quite uncomfortable in them. None of the ladies had white coats on. That could be a problem folks. I watched as long as I could but I was not able to complete it. I tried but I soon developed a case of onset teleprompter fatigue and those guys squirming in their brand new starched white coats was very distracting. I think what the President was trying to say is that everyone should blindly follow the lead of the federal government even though it seems to be changing every few days. They did, however, learn their lesson about one thing. Only two white coats this time. I know you are so glad that I am doing my best to keep you informed on matters of great importance. Have a great Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday and I'll do my best to catch back up with you come next Monday. Lord willing. Take care and may God bless. Amen.  ....More later. 

No comments: