Monday, October 20, 2014

“Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth.” ― Albert Einstein

Welcome back. It's time for us to finish our countdown so that we can get on with a brand new work week, here on this Monday, October 20, 2014. Most of us have confidence in what we assume to be high levels of expertise. We rest well because we have people with high pedigrees looking after things that could threaten us all. Many of those we depend upon are government bureaucrats. This recent public unfolding of activities and responses related to Ebola have uncovered some huge gaps in our nation's readiness and ability to deal with such a crisis. This is a reminder that we all would do well to maintain a very healthy level of skepticism as we take in all of these matters. I'm not into those who have the pants on fire paranoid response, but, I do think it behooves us all to examine exactly what we see happening. People with credentials does not automatically translate into preparedness or effectiveness. Someone who is introduced as an expert does not mean we automatically take everything they offer as truth or law. Sadly, we as a people do operate for the most part on auto-pilot but this example may be a wake up call to us all that it is time for us to smell the coffee! Preferably Community!

Speaking of which, I haven't shared any coffee jokes lately. Here's some that I've most likely used before but it has been a while. ~ So the coffee asked the creamer, "Are you outraged by our working conditions too, or do you support management?" The creamer replied, "I'm half and half." ~ Why is a bad cup of coffee the end of a marriage? Because it's grounds for divorce... ~ I haven't had my cup yet, so it would be a real grind to try to come up with one. ~ What did the mama coffee bean say to her kid who was too wired on caffeine to go to sleep? You'd better go to sleep right now or you're grounded! ~ People ask me if I wake up grumpy in the morning. I reply, “No, I just bring her some coffee!” ~ If you have a picture of your favorite coffee mug on your favorite coffee mug, you may be drinking too much coffee. ~ I would add something here but let's face facts. To me, coffee is no joking matter!

Pretty bad. Right? Sorry, but obviously not sorry enough. Right again. I suppose it's like my granddad used to tell me, "Son, you might as well laugh as to cry." We do need to smile occasionally. I run into folks all the time who look like they haven't used those particular muscles in a long time. You know what I'm talking about. I've heard all my life the deal about how many muscles it takes to make a frown versus how many required to make a smile. The numbers used are all over the page but the bottom line being emphasized is that it takes less muscles to smile than to frown. I tried to check this out and it seems that scientists are undecided on this one. However, I did see this and thought it to be amusing. ~ Scientists have discovered it takes more muscles to frown than to smile. What does this tell us? 1) Scientists have way too much time on their hands. 2) Frowning uses more muscles therefore it burns more calories. ~ Okay. My point was, before I rudely interrupted myself, that we all need a smile now and then. It will do a body good. That's it for today. Enjoy your Monday and don't forget to count and be thankful for your blessings. Amen.   ...More later

No comments: