Wednesday, October 8, 2014

"Those who love deeply never grow old. They may die of old age but they die young." Ben Franklin

Our Birthday boy!
Hello to one and all and thanks for showing up once again here at the meeting place. I call it a version of the electronic front porch. We can sit a spell, take a load off, sip on our coffee, enjoy the slightly cooler breeze, and think about the day that we have before us, this one falling on Wednesday, October 8, 2014. Last Sunday after morning services we were able to drive over to Humble, Texas to a restaurant where we celebrated our eldest, Chris' birthday. There were a total of eleven at the luncheon and we had us a great time being with family. With us seemingly on the run here and there, I find myself trying to keep up with what they say a particular age should feel like now. I do know that from a retirement point of view they tell us the new 55 is now 67 years young. That mostly has to do with the economy with people working longer. I'm mostly focused on the weather approach. You know. I'm 68, therefore, what is the 'feels like' supposed to be for that age? I read a Pew Study that reported how older people by and large say they feel significantly younger than their actual age.
That is encouraging. The chart indicated that at age 82, the respondents averaged early 70's as how they felt. It would be so nice if my hips would read that study and get all excited. And, don't get me wrong, there were plenty of folks who did report many health issues after reaching age 65. Some very debilitating. Yet, the larger portion of people tend to have this youthful perspective. That's the one I prefer. I'll need to keep working on that.

No. I am not complaining. What is it that people say when they want you to think they are not meddling or complaining? I'm just sharing. That's it. Sharing. I was visiting with an older gentleman the other day and during the conversation he asked about my age. I told him and added that our eldest son was turning 49. He laughed and said that we both were nothing but babies. I'm telling you folks. Perspective in life is a big deal. A big deal indeed! While I'm not necessarily sold on the 'you are only as old as you feel' approach to life, I do know that attitude does greatly impact our altitude as it relates to the quality in how we spend our days. Something in that study was somewhat remarkable to me. While the older folks saw themselves as feeling younger than their age, the younger ones surveyed typically said their feel like age was materially older than their actual age. Go figure. Stress. The world mess we are in. Family issues. Job woes. There's no lack of stuff that might make someone feel older. Maybe the older folks are like the Minnie Pearl character, "Howdee! I'm jes' so proud to be here!" That's not a bad place for us to start. Right? Well, think about it.

Enough about old people even though we are one of the fastest growing segments. I'll talk about that one on another day. While we were greatly impressed with the way in which folks handled themselves at the Louisiana hospital the other day, I must tell you that being friendly does not make up for absolutely horrible food in their hospital cafeteria. We already know what patients typically think about hospital food, well, perhaps they are encouraging folks who eat in the cafeteria to want to get out of there as soon as possible. Here again, the folks serving it up could not have been more courteous, but, as they used to say back home when I was growing up, that stuff was hardly fit for hog slop. I now know why we saw folks who go there often ordering hamburgers. Too critical? Not trying to be. And, yes, I am aware they are not attempting to be listed with stars next to their food outlet. If you happen to show up there you might want to pass on the Beef Stroganoff with noodles along with the peas and carrots as a side. Since that is a Russian flavor, I wonder what they would have thought of it? Just saying. Just sharing. May God bless and I'll see you next time. Amen.   ...More later.

No comments: