Thursday, October 30, 2014

“When you’re planning the perfect Christmas … the gifts, the lights, the decorations, the parties, the cards, don’t forget the most important item on the list—Christ.” ― Toni Sorenson, Author

Howdy and welcome to one and all. I bring you a warm greeting as we attack the day we have before us, Thursday, October 30, 2014. The other day I received a very touching and heartwarming note from a friend on Facebook. I was a little surprised. It was emotional. Not long after getting it I received another note from another friend. It was personal. It too was emotional. In fact, it was exactly the same heartwarming note the other person had sent. Then I saw it again, and again, and again. I may not always make clear when I have copied something from a different source but I try my best to do so, and I also try to make sure I do not take credit for something I didn't write. Much of the materials I share that do originate from another source have no attribution assigned to them, but, even in those situations I try to at least use the word (copied) beside them. That first note I received was very moving. It touched my heart. To be honest, it didn't seem in character with the individual who sent it, but, I received it and thought to myself, very well said. And it was. I didn't know until later that it wasn't actually written by the person who copied and pasted it, or the next one, or the next one. I'm a slow learner but I did finally figure it out.

How's everything going in your neck of the woods? It will not be long until we will be humming that tune, "Over the river and through the woods To Grandmother's house we go." I don't know about you but the Thanksgiving and Christmas seasons are some of my favorites. What's that? Have I been practicing my 'ho ho ho's? Not so much but thanks for reminding me. We have eight Santa events on the calendar with more to come. The first one is for the week before Thanksgiving, a two day stint, and I need to schedule a dress rehearsal soon. I also need to research the hot toys for this year. You thought this was just putting on a uniform and showing up, didn't you? There are so many memories from my sojourn here that do connect to these holiday times. Everyone has their own traditions. Even though many of those who helped form our traditions are no longer here, we are able to experience the warm glow of the remembrances we have of those days gone by even as we celebrate with those who will one day carry forward their version of these same traditions. This gives us something to look forward to, and, there's also the red suit. I'm working on that one. Just kidding. It wouldn't be right if the old elf lost his jolly along the way.

I know that 'home' has something to do with this nostalgic feeling we get during the holidays. I've been so blessed to have a home throughout my lifetime. Different places, different settings, but always home. It's not based on a sense of the nicety of the furnishings or even the structural make up of a house. It's the concept of belonging, of being in harmony with, where your heart is able to relax and yes, feel at home. That homing instinct is an important one because it reminds us that we who are people of faith, those who have trusted Christ, well, we will one day arrive at our real home. It will also be a place of belonging where we will be in harmony with our God and Savior, and yes, we will be at rest, forever and ever, Amen. We, like Abraham of old, are looking forward to that heavenly land as our final and ultimate destination. So much so, it occupies our thoughts and conditions our behavior here. (Hebrews Chapter 11) I look forward to enjoying 'home' during the holidays while at the same time I am so much anticipating experiencing the fulfillment of our Savior's promise, "that where I am, you may be also." (John Chapter 14) Those are some really good things to think about. Have a blessed day and may God be with us all. Amen.  ....More later.

No comments: