Monday, October 27, 2014

"People will accept your ideas much more readily if you tell them that Benjamin Franklin said it first." ~ David H. Comins, Author

Hello and welcome back. It is Monday, October 27, 2014 where I suppose many folks are busying themselves in getting ready for Halloween. Since there are billions spent every year I know many will make a big deal out of it. I understand there will be lots of costumes from the movie Frozen and Duck Dynasty gear will also be well represented. We haven't done Halloween in several years. Not sure why but it just kind of faded away. Like a lot of things I suppose. Maybe we are just too preoccupied. I think at times I'm about as absent minded as they come. The other day I went to the trash can to throw away an empty container and I threw away my keys instead. I wasn't planning on throwing away my keys, it was more or less a spontaneous action. I will admit that I was pretty lively digging down to get those keys back. Too preoccupied I suppose. The other night the wife stood outside our bedroom and set the alarm and then she walked immediately to the garage door to check on something in the clothes washer. She found out that when the alarm is set and you open the door to the garage, well, it lets you know that it was a no no. Too preoccupied I suppose. I was already in bed but I thought it best to at least comment on the situation. "Didn't you just set the alarm dear?" I'm trying to remember which was louder, the dinging of the alarm or her response. I'll get back to you on that one.

Will Rogers said, "Politics has become so expensive that it takes a lot of money even to be defeated." That is certainly true for this upcoming mid-term election. They project that 4 billion dollars will be spent in this cycle making it the most expensive mid-term in our history. It was also Will Rogers who said, "If you ever injected truth into politics you would have no politics." Based on the commercials they are running in our area with charges being hurled forth and back of everything under the sun by everyone running, well, it's not only hard to keep up with it all, it becomes a motivating factor in our hoping to just get the thing over with. Maybe they could have a channel dedicated only to political advertising. That wouldn't work because no one and I mean no one would watch that channel. Here's the bottom line sentiment coming out of the contested races here in our state: "Liar, liar, pants on fire!" Which party or candidate am I talking about? Each and every one of them. In the end, it's our system, warts and all, and I highly recommend that each of us will do our civic duty by voting our conscience and convictions on November 4.

Another attack. This time in Ottawa, Canada. Based on early reporting, it appears to be another radical jihadist motivated killing of a soldier. This was the second killing in three days in Canada where previously another soldier was run over and killed by a car driven by a radicalized Muslim. Remember Boston? While many may not have noticed, the Fort Hood shooter recently penned a letter to the Pope. In that letter he praised those fighters in the world who are actively pursing Jihad as a part of their faith. Every time I hear about this fellow I cringe because our government refused to call his heinous act one involving terrorism. Instead they categorized it as work place violence. I'm hoping that Canada does a better job responding to their wake up call. A recent poll from a respected source here in the United States indicated that 65% believe that things in our country are out of control. I believe much of this has to do with leadership that is inclined to always tip toe around the muck and the mire of political correctness. Sooner or later we have to face up to the reality and call things what they really are. But, that's just my lay person's view. Feel free to have your own, or better yet, you can agree with me. Just joking. Remember to remember that our trust is in the Lord our God. Amen.  ...More later.

No comments: