Thursday, September 4, 2014

"Your life is the fruit of your own doing. You have no one to blame but yourself." ~ Joseph Campbell, American Author, (1904-1987)

Hello folks, I bid you greetings here on this Thursday, September 4, 2014. I understand the President said in a Labor Day weekend interview that the world-is-in-a-mess scenario is mostly due to the way things are being reported. He also called out social media like Twitter and Facebook where stuff gets around everywhere simultaneously. This is new. He will have to now add the media to his spinning wheel of blame. I will tell you one thing. If everything being upside down and out of control is a story created by news media, well, the folks worldwide are in on the conspiracy. The newspapers and newscasts all over the world are reporting the facts as they see them on the ground. They certainly don't see it as them inventing the invasions, rebellions, and insurrections that define our times. We all are aware of media hype. It is a reality. But, based on a cursory look-see across the globe, one is immediately struck by the sense of chaos that most people see and feel in so many different areas of the world. Given the favorable coverage shown to this President and his administration by the mainstream media, well, it's downright ironic that now he is blaming the reporting of the news for why people think things are not going very well. If it wasn't for the sheer terror and heartache being experienced by people in these hot spots, his reading would be somewhat amusing. However, sad might be a better word. Sad indeed.

My little work car became a little ill over the holiday weekend. He's 17 years young and started running hot last Friday afternoon on my way home. Come to find out it was a hairline crack in the radiator. That's like pretty important to keeping the car cool enough to keep the engine from blowing up. Well, our eldest came to the rescue one more time. He came over Saturday morning and with about $150 in parts, he did another one of  those $1,000 repair jobs for me. I am grateful, and thankful to God that I wasn't stranded on the road somewhere. It was not an easy job because I'm not really equipped to do much auto repair at my house. He has just about everything anyone could need at his place but the work had to be done in our driveway. I suggested Super Glue but he chuckled, said it just wouldn't work and vetoed it as not being even an option. I'm glad I didn't hit him with the Duck tape idea because I might have been banned as an observer. It wasn't an easy job. It's a 1997 Honda and we all know how small those Japanese hands are. It's a joke, not a racial slur. I offered up my much smaller hands but I could tell he thought knowing what to do with them was probably more important than being able to fit them into a tight place. Those clearances were extremely tight, but he grunted, persevered, and I did my best to encourage, therefore, after much of his sweat, time, and effort, we got a replacement radiator installed, reconnected all the hoses, filled it with fluid,  and now I'm back on the road again. Thanks Chris for all you do for your aging parents. Sounds odd to call ourselves that, but, truth is truth, and that's where we are headed. I just wish we could slow down that journey just a tad.

Here's a little funny to end our time together today. ~ A duck walks into a sandwich shop and orders a ham sandwich and cola to drink. The server looks at him and says, "But you're a duck." "I see your eyes are working," replies the duck. "And you talk!" exclaims the sandwich shop worker. "I see your ears are working" says the duck. "Now can I have my soda and my sandwich please?". "Certainly," says the worker, "Sorry about that, it's just that we don't get many ducks in this place. What are you doing in this area?" "I'm working on the building site across the road" explains the duck. So the duck drinks his cola, eats his sandwich and leaves. This continues for 2 weeks. Then one day the circus comes to town. The ringleader of the circus comes into the shop and the worker says to him; "You're with the circus aren't you? I know this duck that would be just brilliant in your circus, he talks, orders sandwiches and soda and everything!" "Sounds marvelous" says the ringleader, "Get him to give me a call." So the next day, the duck comes into the shop and is greeted, "Hey Mr. Duck, I reckon I can line you up with a top job. Paying really good money!" "Yeah?" says the duck, "Sounds great, where is it?" "At the circus." "The circus?" the duck inquires. "That's right" replies the worker. "The circus? That place with the big tent? With all the animals? With the big canvas roof with the hole in the middle?" asks the duck. "That's right Mr. Duck!" The duck looks confused. "What would they want with a roofer?" ~ I actually adapted that little story from a website that supposedly had as its mission to find the world's funniest joke. Sorry, but this was the only one I read that even came close to being funny. They are harder and harder to find these days. Times change I suppose but I thought this one was close enough for government work. Take care. And, may God bless each one. Amen.  ....More later.

No comments: